Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a 6x9 Technika. Some Focus problems.

Bought a 6x9 Technika. Some Focus problems.

I just bought a very nice condition Technika III package. Came with 3 lenses and original "tri-cam".

I'm having focus problems with both the GG and the Rangefinder. The rangefinder is out of alignment. From what I can tell, repairing this is a delicate operation. To make matters worse, when I rack the standard to the infinity stop and then check the GG, infinity is not in focus. The camera needs to be racked out about another 1 cm to put infinity in focus.

The GG itself looks quite old and in poor shape, so I want to replace that anyway, but I am not sure that just replacing the GG will fix the focus. Any ideas on things I can try?

Re: Bought a 6x9 Technika. Some Focus problems.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmatthews View Post
    I'm having focus problems with both the GG and the Rangefinder. The rangefinder is out of alignment. From what I can tell, repairing this is a delicate operation. To make matters worse, when I rack the standard to the infinity stop and then check the GG, infinity is not in focus. The camera needs to be racked out about another 1 cm to put infinity in focus.
    It looks like you've used the wrong infinity stop. The one with the red dot is for the 105mm lens, the black dot for the WA-lens and the green for the long focal lenght.
    The GG itself looks quite old and in poor shape, so I want to replace that anyway, but I am not sure that just replacing the GG will fix the focus. Any ideas on things I can try?
    Only touch the GG if you have solved the focussing problem. If this is solved remove the GG from the back and wash it with a soft brush, soap and warm water. After remounting the GG will be much brighter.

Peter

The infinity stops are obviously not set for that lens. It's normally a simple matter to adjust them for the lens in use. You can only use one set of infinity stops for the one lens they are set for. Look closely at the stops. There should be small screws that lock them in position. Simply loosen them and set the stops where you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
    There should be small screws that lock them in position. Simply loosen them and set the stops where you want them.
    Not for the Technika III and IV. There are little holes in the top rail.

Here you can find informations about the Technika IV 6x9. The only diffrence between a III and a IV is the back removing: four sliders with the III and one lever with the IV.
    Last edited by Peter K; 30-May-2010 at 17:25. Reason: link added

Hmmmmm ------ Never had a Linhof. I just assumed they could be set like the Graflex kind. Ya gets what ya pays for, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    It looks like you've used the wrong infinity stop. The one with the red dot is for the 105mm lens, the black dot for the WA-lens and the green for the long focal lenght.

Only touch the GG if you have solved the focussing problem. If this is solved remove the GG from the back and wash it with a soft brush, soap and warm water. After remounting the GG will be much brighter.

Peter
    I am using the correct infinity stop. Also tried another lens which is cammed for it with the same issues.

The ground glass is also rounded off strangely. It's not rectangular, looks like someone may have chipped it and sanded the edges at some point, but I don't know why that would change the infinity focus.

It also doesn't look there is an easy way to remove the ground glass. Am I missing something there?

I am using the correct infinity stop. Also tried another lens which is cammed for it with the same issues.
    For the WA lens the upper rail has to pushed back toward the camera body after pressing a latch, for the long focal lenght the upper rail must drawn in the opposit direction.

The ground glass is also rounded off strangely. It's not rectangular, looks like someone may have chipped it and sanded the edges at some point, but I don't know why that would change the infinity focus.

It also doesn't look there is an easy way to remove the ground glass. Am I missing something there?
    The T III was often used with a GG with clipped corners.

For the focus problem, as mentioned, report back after setting the infinity stop.
    In terms of the GG being off, or at a different distance than the T-distance of the film holder, I think that can be checked with film and some "focus check" shots better than with a depth micrometer.

A fresnel lens will brighten the GG screen.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For the focus problem, as mentioned, report back after setting the infinity stop.
    In terms of the GG being off, or at a different distance than the T-distance of the film holder, I think that can be checked with film and some "focus check" shots better than with a depth micrometer.

A fresnel lens will brighten the GG screen.
    Not really sure I can do much more about the infinity stop. It's a notch on the focusing rail and not really configurable. When I slide out the standard, it will notch into the infinity stop.

There are 3 infinity stops. The 1st is for a 65mm lens, the 2nd is the 105mm, and the 3rd is for a 180mm lens. I am putting it into the 2nd stop. The lens is cammed to the matching serial number of the lens. Not really sure I can do much more at this point, but I am pretty baffled when infinity would be out of focus on the GG.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the GG is out of position somehow but it looks fine to me.

Does the cam have the serial number of the camera stamped on the bottom of the cam?