Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15lb 8x10 Studio-in-a-bag

Re: 15lb 8x10 Studio-in-a-bag

Well, it worked! I had to switch bags to accommodate some Polaroid film, but here is my studio, under the seat in front of me. Heh heh.

funkadelic

Nice!

Nice job. I'm extremely jealous of your setup, Ben. I spoke with Peter in January about purchasing an 8x10 Gowland. We chatted at length about the sort of shooting I wanted it for and what he could offer to customize it. He said he'd call back soon once he'd determined if he had the requisite parts. I never heard back from him, (I chalked it up to forgetfulness -- heck, he was 93yrs old!) then saw his obituary all over the web in March. What a big loss to the world photography.

Good luck!

Brett, so sorry to hear it... It is indeed a huge loss. But don't lose hope -- a month or so ago I saw a Gowland lite 8x10 pop up on eBay, so they are out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Well, it worked! I had to switch bags to accommodate some Polaroid film, but here is my studio, under the seat in front of me. Heh heh.
    Cool! Have you had anyone give you any guff over the extra carry-on for photographic equipment?

Actually, TSA has been amazing about it. I usually fly Southwest, and they allow two carry-ons plus a personal item. So normally I fill my side bag with clothes and a laptop, carry a tote bag full of camera gear, and hand-carry a DSLR.

Sometimes the camera bag goes through the X-ray without any problem, other times they ask to hand-inspect it, which only takes about 30 seconds.

This time around, I asked for a hand inspection of a box of 8x10 Portra 400 NC. I haven't done that in probably 10 years. All they do is swipe it, test for explosives, and hand the box back to you. 30 seconds tops. I will definitely do this from now on for anything 400 ISO or over.

Looks like you tossed the shoelaces to save weight too ... .

I travelled to Yellowstone etc. and because I had so many (4) connections I asked and was granted hand checks at every gate. No one seemed the least bit miffed.
    I've had back surgery so I cut my tootbrush in half and wore old underwear (and tossed it as I went) to save weight. Brought one of those small tripods and because the legs don't extend it seemed pretty stable. But 8x10...wow. I'm impressed.
    BTW, I'm in NY and I'd like to come shooting if there is a group here in NYC.

If I were traveling to NYC, I'd leave the film at home and make a stop at B&H when I got there... assuming I was shooting one of the last couple of films they still carry.

That's an option, but I wound up taking some expired film that I got for much cheaper... Besides, the film itself is not too heavy.