Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide: Linhof Technikardan, Cambo Ultima or Sinar P

Trying to decide: Linhof Technikardan, Cambo Ultima or Sinar P

Ok so I'm moving onto large format for the first time. I've been doing architectural and landscape photography for a while on the Canon 5D Mark II + a Hassleblad 503CX. I'm trying to decide between a Linhof Technikardan, Cambo Ultima or Sinar P.

There are a number of issues to consider.
    1. For the next year at least, I'll be shooting only film. I actually prefer to shoot film but if I can make a business out of this I'll need to move onto large format digital fairly soon I imagine. It would be great to invest in a kit that I can shoot film and use a digital back on.
    2. Whilst I tend to drive to architectural locations, weight is an issue for my landscape work as I often have to walk with kit and I work alone (I'm a fairly small girl so really heavy kit is a pain.)
    3. As this is my first foray into large format, I'd like to spoil myself by getting kit that's easy to use.

I'd really appreciate any advice. I'm based in the UK and any advice on good secondhand suppliers would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Re: Trying to decide: Linhof Technikardan, Cambo Ultima or Sinar P

All of these cameras are capable of bringing home the shot.

I've owned 2 of the 3 cameras you mention, the P is a great camera, but conveniently portable, not so much so. It can be done, but requires some effort.

The technikardan folds up to the size of a book (hard back of course) and can be carried in a backpack easily.

I know nothing about the specific Cambo you mention.
    bob

Hi JL,

Can't speak to the Cambo Ultima but I can speak to the Sinar... it's a heavy, heavy camera especially if you're looking to pack a few lenses, wide-angle bellows, holders, meters, etc.

[The weight adds up in a hurry regardless...]

The Technikardan is a great camera and would work well for your purposes. I used one for awhile years ago and quite liked it. Some people say it's a bit trickier to set up but I didn't think so.

One other camera you may want to look at is the Arca Swiss F-Line... very portable and it's a joy to use.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. It seems like the Sinar P and the Cambo Ultima are going to be too heavy.

One more question...
    Is it possible to shoot 4x5 film and fit a digital back to the Arca Swiss F-line? It would be so helpful to just invest in a one size fits all solution.

I think I'm right in assuming that you can't fit a digital back to the Linhof Technikardan?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Learning View Post
    Thanks for the advice, very helpful. It seems like the Sinar P and the Cambo Ultima are going to be too heavy.

One more question...
    Is it possible to shoot 4x5 film and fit a digital back to the Arca Swiss F-line? It would be so helpful to just invest in a one size fits all solution.

I think I'm right in assuming that you can't fit a digital back to the Linhof Technikardan?
    Then you assumed wrong! The Linhof DigiAdapter puts a Hasselblad H digital back on any Linhof 45, including the TK and TKS models. They also make one for their 23 cameras as well.

I've used only one 4x5 camera, the TK45, and I've used it since 1991. I'm quite happy with it, but there are a couple of things worth knowing.

At least on my camera, the bed movements can be stiff during cold weather. That hasn't stopped me from working in temperatures to -20F, but is just something to keep in mind if you're working outside and trying to move quickly.

You'll definitely want the bad bellows for lenses 90 mm and wider.

I would purchase a quick release attachment for your tripod head and a corresponding plate for the camera. I use a 3/8" thread screw to attach the plate to the camera (note that I have an older TK45, not the TK45S, so I don't know if this is possible with it). Threading the tripod head directly to the camera each time that you use it is awkward and takes too much time.

Best wishes for moving forward with LF.

my 2 cents worth ... I've worked for years with the Sinar P system and had a chance to toy around with a Cambo Ultima briefly.
    The Sinar P(2) is NOT the way to go if mobility is asked for. It's a wonderful camera, insanely precise; but that precision comes with a price - weight (and a lot of it). Back during my college years (oh the memories, can't believe it's already ten years ago), we used the scaled down Sinar F2 cameras for most of our assignments. While lighter and more portable then the P, it still wasn't much of a joy to "schlepp" them around in the field, especially if one adds all the peripherals into the mix (lenses, holders, tripod, hard case ...).
    The Ultima would have been my dream camera ... for studio work. I allmost bought one when they first came out after having played with one at a presentation (but went for a full Hassy kit instead). IMHO it surpasses the Sinar P(2). However, it's just as heavy as the Sinar and best suited for the studio.
    I am not familiar with the Linhof TK though; my two Linhofs are a Bi and a GTL (both are studio monsters).

Hi JL,

Can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to mount a digital back onto the F-Line Metric...

I only shoot film so I'm not able to speak to which digital backs are compatible.

However, contact Rod at Photomark and he'll be able to give you all the information you'll ever want/need in regards to Arca Swiss cameras.

Here's his website:

http://www.photomark.com/large_format.html

Good luck on the decision.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I've used the Sinar P in an industrial setting along with a TK 45. Have used the TK 45 out in the field exclusively for about 10 yrs. The TK is clearly twice the weight (7 lbs. or so) than an ultra light wood field camera but rock solid and precise in use. The Sinar P is just a bit too heavy and awkward to use in the field for me.

The TK takes a bit of getting used to in the folding and unfolding operation. Also when folded the edge of the bellows are exposed in your camera bag, can be easily abraided, and are pricey to replace ($600.00). But the TK would still be my pick for precision and stability and modest weight. My one workhorse TK 45 has been dragged around in my 4 runner and on my back for more than 200,000 miles over 10 years and still functions perfectly. On my third bellows.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    I've used the Sinar P in an industrial setting along with a TK 45. Have used the TK 45 out in the field exclusively for about 10 yrs. The TK is clearly twice the weight (7 lbs. or so) than an ultra light wood field camera but rock solid and precise in use. The Sinar P is just a bit too heavy and awkward to use in the field for me.

The TK takes a bit of getting used to in the folding and unfolding operation. Also when folded the edge of the bellows are exposed in your camera bag, can be easily abraided, and are pricey to replace ($600.00). But the TK would still be my pick for precision and stability and modest weight. My one workhorse TK 45 has been dragged around in my 4 runner and on my back for more than 200,000 miles over 10 years and still functions perfectly. On my third bellows.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Just put the TK in a large Novoflex Wrap and the bellows will be fully protected. Novoflex wraps are stretchable neoprene hook and loop material that also adds a slight padding for added protection.

BTW, Domke's largest wrap was originally made for us and was sold as Linhof Camera Wrap specifically to protect the TK when folded at the request of Lou at Ken Hansen when the original camera was introduced and Domke was an independent company.