Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vertical banding with Epson 1270 on a 13X19 print.

Vertical banding with Epson 1270 on a 13X19 print.

Pete,

I didn't see that you mentioned which paper you were using (sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread).

If it's something other than Epson's papers for the printer, you might want to look very closely and see if it's really banding you're experiencing and not the dreaded "pizza wheel" problem that often occurs with some brands of paper. You can do a google search with the words "Epson pizza wheel" to get a description of the problem and potential solutions.

Definitely not the pizza wheel problem (which I don't mind too much). This is banding with strips of a little more than 1mm next to lighter (in tone) strips of about 4mm next to that, going accross the page in the direction that the paper is printing out.

Picture the sky portion going from darker blue to lighter blue across the page resulting in a darker blue stripe next to a lighter blue stripe and repeating accross the page. The same thing happened with a picture of a waterfall, where there was banding in the continuous white area of the waterfall.

Pete.

Will be trying some of the suggestions...

2 other points: Banding is not a function of resolution, per se. With Epson's Photo Enhance mode, excellent "smooth" prints can be made be from 150 dpi, they even have optimization schemes for 72 dpi JPEGs to print well. Also, be sur High Speed printing is turned off. THAN

Well, this just gets better...

now I've got blue lines less than 1mm in width running perpendicular to the direction of the paper's movement through the printer. The banding goes outside the porder of the print and off the page. This is different than the tonal banding I described earlier.

Looks like I might need a new head? [referring to the printer, again]

Pete.