Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 75mmBiogon vs. 75mm Grandigon -N

75mmBiogon vs. 75mm Grandigon -N

Has anyone out there made a comparrison between these two lenses. I realize the Biogon is not multi coated. Been dying to find out the performance level of the Biogon comparred to the modern day Grandigon-N. No theory please, just real hand s on experience. Thanks in advance for your input.

Coverage for one.

The 75 Biogon covers 165mm while a 4.5 75mm Grandagon N covers 195mm.

Weight is another.

Why not just go to Denver Pro Photo. They have people familiar with both. Also Mile High and Mike's could be helpful as would S&S Optika in Englewood.

Bob Soloman: With all due respect...Sir. I have already purchased new 75 and 90mm Grandagon - N's upon your reccomendation and those of others.....as your warranty cards will reflect. I am delighed with the lenses. They are superb and are Marflex camed and calibrated. They are superb optical tools. My post was out of curiosity, having always wondered what a real 'user' thought of the Biogon...in comparison to the newer 4.5 Grandigon - N. As far as the Denver photo shops you mentioned...Denver Pro Photo is excellent...the others are just camera salesmen and are clueless. I've been a successful, award winning, professional for forty years, and I know a salesman from professional shooter. Just looking for some hands on experience and opinion. No offense intended. Richard Boulware ( National photographer of the year, Director, Photography Department, Colorado Institute of Art, eight gold medals (ADCD, DAF) Don Christiansen Memorial Award, and a bunch of other stuff in advertising and PJ.)

What does that have to do with coverage?

There are several people at those stores who can help you if you give them the opportunity.

Richard give it up. Bob's not even on the same planet that we are.

Bob - For once will you just read the question. He's asking about real-world performance, not specs.. Things like: resolution, contrast, flare level, ghosting, field curvature/distortion, image plane flatness, etc... Weight and coverage he can get anywhere.

The Biogon will come in 2nd in a performance contest. It's only benefit is that the CF isn;t needed due to its' design (but that is a specification again isn't it)

No - if it has less falloff of illumination towards the edge of the field that's performance (guess the weight serves some purpose after all).

"guess the weight serves some purpose after all"

Not to mention a 95mm filter size vs a 67mm filter size.

"Not to mention a 95mm filter size vs a 67mm filter size."

Of course, to be TRULY apples:apples you have to also include the center filter on the Rodentock side of the equation. So make that 95mm filter size vs. 86mm filter size. The Gandagon still wins on this count, but not by as large of a margin. And oh yeah, don't forget the 1 1/2 - 2 stops (don't have the specs in front of me) loss due to the center filter.

BTW, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. For my money, I'd still take the smaller, lighter, larger coverage, multicoated 75mm f4.5 Gandagon-N (or 75mm f4.5 Nikkor SW) over the Biogon. But that's just based on my personal needs and preferences. Others may very well refer the classic Biogon.

Kerry