Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color negative sheet film availablity 2010

Color negative sheet film availablity 2010

I'm not clear on what is and what is not available in color negative sheet film these days. One N.Y. vendor seems to be not showing any Fuji color negative sheet film, another shows some in stock. I've seen rumors that Fuji USA has dropped all color negative pro films and they don't show any on their website. Fuji Global still shows most films as current products in 35, roll and sheet film. Is Fuji pro color negative gone from the U.S. market? Is there official word on this?

Re: Color negative sheet film availablity 2010

Kodak Ektar was just released in sheets, 4X5 and 8X10 this year. It is my favorite color negative film. Also Freestyle shows stock of Fujicolor Pro 160S in 4X5.

Thanks for the heads up, but I can find film right now. I'm wondering more about what happens in the next weeks or months. Is Fuji color neg gone?

Contact Fuji- they'll get back with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    Contact Fuji- they'll get back with you.
    FAIL!

Anyone else have any real info?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post

Anyone else have any real info?
    Contacting Fuji seems like good real advice to me. Did Fuji not talk to you?

Fuji put out a press release earlier this year. It appears they have discontinued their 160 Pro and 800 Pro films leaving only 400H, which is not available in sheets. You'll also see this reflected in their product lines on their US website.

Kodak on the other hand offers Portra 160NC, 160VC and 400NC + Ektar 100 in sheets.

Could someone recommend a substitute for Fuji Pro 160S in 4x5 ?
    Could someone recommend a NYC lab that does a good job with sheet film?

I haven't used sheet film for a few years and am disheartened to see it vanishing.
    I understand 35mm disappearing as many amateurs and pros switch to digital, but I do not understand why 120/220 and sheet film is going away. Nearly all hobbyists and many pros cannot afford the extreme costs of digital in medium and large format. The amateurs are what make up the bulk in film sales for medium format and the pros in large format. I could even see phasing out 5x7 and 8x10 and 11x14 as the volume is smaller, but phasing out 120/220 and 4x5 just does not make sense. Anything in a magazine bigger than wallet size is shot on medium format if there is any quality to mind and fold outs on 4x5 or 8x10. Either the magazines are funding some expensive digital purchases or quality standards are dropping like print media revenue.

Sorry for the rant, I just had to vent.

I imagine that Fuji is re-naming the film - that's what it looks like in Japan. Here, in the U. S. you can't find an answer because no one answers the phone or returns phone calls. As far as I can tell Fuji has done a big re-organization in the U. S. and they must have fired everyone and only the automated phone system is still functioning. 160S was a great film but the company's public relations and response to customers is pathetic. I'm done with them.