Thread: B&L 40" 1016 f5.6 telephoto

Thumbs down B&L 40" 1016 f5.6 telephoto

Dear knowledgeable people

A friend of mine just moved to another town and, as a gift for me, left behind a B&L 40" 1016 mm focal length telephoto lens with "VA 8611" on the outer ring around the lens. I'm an amateur astronomer, not a photographer per se, and have no idea what this lens is. I have seen references in these posts to someone mounting one on a "Big Bertha" Graflex SLR vintage camera.

So can anyone tell me what I've got?

Thanks,

Chuck

Re: B&L 40" 1016 f5.6 telephoto

A big lens.

Now you need a camera to go with it. Of course you could always give it to me since I have a Tele-Graflex camera.

A gift that keeps on gifting. HA!
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Thumbs down Re: B&L 40" 1016 f5.6 telephoto

Thanks for your post. I'm an astronomer and I just sunk a load of do-re-mi into that, so I'd be for selling the B&L 40". Is it worth much?

made in 1944 as per B&L code system
    Klaus

http://www.macrolenses.de for macro and special lens info
    http://www.pbase.com/kds315/ for UV Images and lens/filter info
    http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/ my UV diary

Klaus, to put a fine point on it your date codes are wildly inconsistent with many B&L lenses that can be dated by other means. I think your source for the data was having you on. Keeping the lists on line is, in my opinion, irresponsible.

This is an aerial camera lens, possibly of WWII vintage or 1950s. It was designed to cover 9x9 in. or possibly 9x18 in. It is probably optimized for use with a red or yellow filter. If you were to use it as a telescope with an eyepiece on-axis performance would only be so-so. Might make an OK astro-camera if you scare up some fast 8x10 plates :-))

How big and how much does this weigh? If it covers 9x18 then it probably covers 8x20. If it's a true telephoto then infinity focus would be artound 20". That could be a fun lens for some mountain photography. or for wide open spaces of any type. Do you have a photo of it? I could be interested........ :-o

John

I had one of those a few years ago, sold it on Ebay...$150 was the highest bid. The one I sold had a mount for 35mm.

I have one of those, but the f/8 version. Got an "elbow" telescope surplus, the kind with a nearly 2" eyepiece, cut its objective off and connected it to the 40" lens with some PVC pipe. Makes a very nice spotting scope of about 18-20 power. This not a high resolution lens, supposidly made for contact printing of perhaps 18X18, so it won't make a very high power telescope.