Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on Schneider 65mm Super angulon

Info on Schneider 65mm Super angulon

Newbie form OZ
    I'm thinking of purchasing a Schneider 65mm Super Angulon, i have a Horsman LX4x5 and a Tachihara 4x5, would I have any coverage problems with a lens this wide,I will be using it for mainly Landscape work, or would I be better off with a 75mm lens, I currently have a 90mm f5.6, (Most of my digital work is shot with a 18mm) any assistance is appreciated
    Regards Brian

Re: Info on Schneider 65mm Super angulon

I have no coverage problems with the 65mm 5.6 SA, I have a Gandolfi Variant 4x5 camera which has lots of movements. The lens should cover 4x5 with ease and for what its worth the lens being so wide angle practically will focus its self

The bigger issue is that you need to check both cameras or at least the one you intend to use if the camera will compress down to 65mm? My camera for instance the 65 is the widest that can be used with a bag bellows & without a recessed lens board.

Quote Originally Posted by briand View Post
    Newbie form OZ
    I'm thinking of purchasing a Schneider 65mm Super Angulon, i have a Horsman LX4x5 and a Tachihara 4x5, would I have any coverage problems with a lens this wide,I will be using it for mainly Landscape work, or would I be better off with a 75mm lens, I currently have a 90mm f5.6, (Most of my digital work is shot with a 18mm) any assistance is appreciated
    Regards Brian

the 65mm SA will cover 4x5, no problem... the image circle for the f5.6 is quoted to be 170mm

I read a lot of talk about the need for center filters on lenses this wide but, I think if you stop down you may well be happy without a filter

I'm not familiar with the Horseman but I do have a tachi [and a technika] and you will certainly find that you have very ristricted potential for movements because a standard bellows will be so compressed.

Does your horseman have the option of a bag bellows? I haven't used one but I understand that a specific wide angle bellows might make your life easier...

just remembered there's an f8 version too...
    that one has an image circle of 155mm which would be tight
    I've never used one but most images I see from that lens have prominent vignetting in the corners

however, I assume you mean the more modern f5.6 version

Quote Originally Posted by briand View Post
    Newbie form OZ
    Regards Brian
    Schneider keeps a listing of specs on some of their older lenses available online. You can find the information on the super angulons here.

-Darren

Thanks for the prompt replies,
    Sorry forgot to mention the lens is an f8, I do have a bag bellows for the Horseman But will mainly be using the Tachi,also I have made an Adaptor back for the Tachi to take my Horseman Ground Glass so I can use my Horseman Rollfilm Backs (6x7, 6x9 )
    thanks for the feedback.

I've been using a 65mm f8 SA for about 20 years with my Wista, it just covers 5x4 but there's no room for movements, but it's a great little lens.

On the Wista I have to use tilts to avoid getting the front rail in the image, you really need to try the lens on your cameras as some may not allow focus with a 65mm.

A 75mm is far less of a problem,but then it's not as wide either.

Ian

I have my 65/5.6 on a flat board and I can focus it OK on the tachihara

but if you've modified the back in a way that adds distance to the light path you may have trouble with bellows compression in which case you may have to get a recessed lens board

if you already have the lens it's just a matter of working out the best way to use it... but I'm sure it will work !

definitely vignettes.. might be slight but its there.. if u want to do landscapes and u dont want this u will need the center filter.
    Ektachrome 64 x wishes and Tech Pan Dreams

Thanks to you all for your advice,
    my biggest concern with the 65mm f8 would be the lack of room for movements, I can't try the lens as it is located in the US, I still have the original back for the Tachi Haven't modified it, (made a new one for the Horseman GG) anyone have any sugestions as to an Alternative wide Angle lens that will still give me some room for movements?
    Regards Brian