Thread: Help with LPL 4550XLG fan

Help with LPL 4550XLG fan

I need help with my LPL 4550XLG Color Head. The fan is rubbing against a disk which I asssume is a light shield (visible from the outside). I have tried to disassemble the light housing but have run into a dead end, and cannot access the fan to get it out, nor find another way to get at the disk. The disk appears to be loose.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Len Eselson

Re: Help with LPL 4550XLG fan

Is the head removed from the column? Did you remove the diffuser box and the filter module? Did you look for screws in these disassembled areas? Can you post a picture?
    Last edited by DaveAlbano; 14-May-2010 at 22:28. Reason: spelling..duh

The lamp housing is removed from the head. The top and side covers are removed as well as the machine screws that hold the fan to the housing. The problem is how to remove the fan and light shield so that a repair can be made. It seems to me that it is probable that the light shield was attahced to the fan housing, perhaps with some sort of spacers.

Len Eselson

Problem Solved
    Len Eselson

"problem solved" >> please tell us how!

Here is how I got to the fan of the LPL 4550 XLG. This is being done from memory so I don't guarantee that some step may have been omitted. However it is pretty straightforward.

There are a fair number of small screws to remove, so set up a system to keep track of them. You will need small screwdrivers, including a Phillips head.

1. Disconnect the connector at the power supply of the cord that leads to the lamp housing.
    2. Loosen Screw of the top cover of the lamp housing and remove cover.
    3. Loosen Screw under the lamp housing and remove the entire housing.
    4. These steps may or may not be necessary, but they made removal of the motor assembly easier.
    a. remove lamp.
    b. remove (2 ?) screws and remove rear lamp bracket.
    c. remove (2 ?) screws and remove front lamp bracket
    d. remove (4 ?) screws and remove bracket and heat resistant glass.
    e. remove two white cylindrical separators from both sides of the lamp compartment.
    (just grab them somehow and pull up)
    5. remove 4 screws which hold the side plate through which the power cord enters the lamp housing.
    6. Mark all wires so that you know how to reconnect them afterwards.
    7. Disconnect the two wires that slide on to the fan motor
    8. Disconnect all other wires. In my case the wires were crimped together and I had to cut them. (When assembling them after the repair I chose to solder them and tape
    over the joint with insulating tape.)
    9. Remove all screws from the bottom plate and remove the plate.
    10. The motor housing can now be slid out downwards. You may have to wriggle the area around the hole that passes the light from the lamp housing to the diffusion chamber. (This is the reason for step 4)
    11. The motor is held in place by 3 screws from the front. They screw into cylindrical nuts (don't know what else to call them), which you should take care not to lose.
    12 Assembly is the reverse of the above.

Len Eselson