Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cemeteries

Re: Cemeteries

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Barry: Nice.

I guess I'm going to have to get a Petzval someday.

Cheers. Bob G.
    Thanks Bob!

Andrew Moxom

Here are a few of mine:-

Forst two taken with a Chamonix 45 1N and a couple of darlot petzvals, while the one on the right was shot with a Bausch and Lomb 7" Cinephor II projection lens.

Here's one from today. I'm not really happy with the tones but at least I've managed to realize my initial framing-idea. Maybe I'll re-shoot this one on a cloudy day...

Columbarium

Fomapan100 4x5, ID-11 1+1, Fujinon W 125mm, yellow-orange-filter

On the way home from a weekend trip I was able to convince my wife and a friend to let me stop to shoot a church in the Little Shasta Valley of northern California. After a bit they tired of reading magazines while I waited for the light, so they started walking and told me to pick them up. I found them wandering a country cemetery that was quite fascinating. I tried a couple shots, and here are the results.

The first headstone appears to have simply been carved onto a granite boulder. The main one in the second image is carved out of marble, and the dark lines are lichen. I had a bit of trouble separating all the elements in the second shot, as you can see. I'll definitely have to go back! All the stones face west, allowing them to catch the last light of the day.

I really like shooting cemeteries. Specifically old jewish cemeteries, which are quite abundant in the Czech Republic.

This is my first attempt with X-ray film with emulsion on both sides - overexposed, overdeveloped, severely scratched and with development streaks.... In fact I quite like it Taken at not so old (17th century) but large jewish cemetery (more than 1000 gravestones) in a town few kilometers far from my home.

The second picture could be considered more successful from technical point of view. Taken at smaller and little bit older cemetery also few kilometers far from my home. There used to be some beautiful wild cherry trees but they were removed during the last cemetery maintenance

Schneider convertible Symmar 180/5,6 Fomapan 100 13x18cm in Rodinal

A couple from my Katrina series. Biloxi graveyard.

Thumbs up Re: Cemeteries

Quote Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
    Speed Graphic and Balopticon 7" E.F. projection lens. Not quite the coverage but dig the look. 1/500 @ f/4.5ish. 30yr of expired Tri-x. The film is only 5 yrs younger than me!
    Nice pictures!
    How did you develope them?

http://guidovandamme.photoshelter.co...000BtkoxXP7k74
    Muslim soldier's grave, World War 2
    Not exactly Large format... Fuji 6x4,5 - Ilford XP2

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Cemetery, Mission San Juan Baptiste

Scan of an 8x10 RC work print.

This is taken in the German War Cemetary at Cannock Chase in England in a beautifully attractive and secluded setting. I make no particular claims for its photographic merit but it does belong in this thread. I came across it by accident a few years ago and revisited last year. It was an unusual and very moving experience to visit such a place. Mixed emotions surfaced in me but ultimately I felt proud that we can respect and preserve so lovingly the final resting place of those who at the time of their death were our enemy. The cemetry is maintained superbly by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission whose primary role it is to maintain the graves all over the world of the 1 million Commonwealth soldiers who lost their lives in the first and second world wars and who are buried in 150 countries. It also maintains and manages cemeteries for others - such as this one on behalf of the people and government of Germany. This image shows one small corner of the cemetry.

I was in doubt about whether photographing there was acceptable to the CWGC, indeed I did wonder whether it was what I wanted to do. I asked and was encouraged to do so by an senior offical of the CWGC.

Last edited by Steve Gledhill; 25-Jun-2010 at 12:37. Reason: Added a comment ...