Thread: Daguerreotype Portrait With Blue Solarized Sky

Daguerreotype Portrait With Blue Solarized Sky

I'm quite happy with how this one came out and thought it was a good example to share. I'm loving how the wrapping quality of light translates in the tones and how the tones are really very delicate and the scale very long. There is detail in the deepest shadows and tone in the brightest highlights; tiling the plate reveals further detail in the extremes as well as shows some of the prismatic color shift visible at oblique angles. The exposure was 15 seconds at f8 in full SoCal sun (softened by a homemade scrim). As usual, since the dynamics of daguerreotypes are difficult to show in a photo, below is a quick video showing the new plate. Hope you find this interesting and enjoy.

(Be sure the video player's quality is set to the highest possible setting (1080p or 4K) to see the plate clearly.)

Last edited by Fragomeni; 14-Jan-2024 at 08:46. Reason: Added note about video player quality setting

Re: Daguerreotype Portrait With Blue Solarized Sky

Awesome! ...your other new plate is pretty amazing, too.

I want one. Who is doing Dags in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    I'm quite happy with how this one came out and thought it was a good example to share. I'm loving how the wrapping quality of light translates in the tones and how the tones are really very delicate and the scale very long. There is detail in the deepest shadows and tone in the brightest highlights; tiling the plate reveals further detail in the extremes as well as shows some of the prismatic color shift visible at oblique angles. The exposure was 15 seconds at f8 in full SoCal sun (softened by a homemade scrim). As usual, since the dynamics of daguerreotypes are difficult to show in a photo, below is a quick video showing the new plate. Hope you find this interesting and enjoy. burrito craft

(Be sure the video player's quality is set to the highest possible setting (1080p or 4K) to see the plate clearly.)

good job! i like it!

Remarkable work. Thanks for sharing this with us!