Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old 4x5 sheet film donations?

Old 4x5 sheet film donations?

OK, getting ready to load some real film into a few film holders. Never done thi s before. Not to worried about it, as I used to load 16mm film. The way I learne d that was with some old film so I could practice in the light, then with my eye s closed, then in a changing bag. This way, mistakes are non-fatal.

If anyone would like to donate one or two sheets of old 4x5 sheet film to the "h elp Doug lean to load foundation", e-mail me and I'll send you my address. Even just one sheet would be great. I'll have to owe you the .34 for the postage, as we can't do any business here.

Its not that I'm too cheap to waste a sheet of my own, but I haven't bought any sheet film yet. Still on polaroids. And, I just hate the thought of wasting a sh eet of perfectly good film when someone somewhere must have a spoiled sheet they don't want.

Don't worry, Douglas. Before long you'll have LOTS of spoiled sheets. We all did.
    Alec

Alec <LOL>

anyway, someone has already offered, so I don't need any more free old film.

Thanks everyone

I've never (so far at least) ruined any film while loading, but I HAVE developed a few sheets only to find I forgot to pull the dark slide. I guess we all have our own ways of messing up and I've found mine

"I've never (so far at least) ruined any film while loading, but I HAVE developed a few sheets only to find I forgot to pull the dark slide. I guess we all have our own ways of messing up and I've found mine "

Not to mention forgetting to close the shutter before pulling the darkslide, pulling the wrong darkslide, or slipping the film into the darkslide grooves so that when the darkslide is pulled, it falls forward into the camera.

Yeah, I've found mine, too. :-))

Tony

Ohhh, pulling the wrong darkslide, that's like bending a finger nail backwards. It's the worst. Ouch!!! Dean
    Dean Lastoria

doug,

to be honest, I've never wasted a sheet of lf film. When I first started LF photography last year, I loaded my first five two-sided holders and didn't spoil a single sheet. Just go through it in your mind first.

Another thing that you can do is cut out some "film" out of cardstock or other thicker paper and use that to test with.

Doug -

Jump in!! Buy a box of film, load your holders and get out here with the rest of us experts! Loading isn't that difficult - it's the composing, exposing, developing and printing that really produces the "experience". And I guarantee you'll have a couple of sheets you can practice with in no time!

BW film is about $12 for 25 sheets in 4x5!Buy a box and waste a dollar's worth of film!

I've never forgotten to pull the slide (touch wood), but my favourite way of spoiling film used to be to leave the lens on preview, and grossly overexpose the film, before finally firing the shutter and closing it! Damned Compur shutters used to let you do this without a hint that anything had gone amiss. Copals, however, won't fire with the preview lever open, so at least you know you've ruined the shot before you pack up and go away. I quickly got into the habit of test firing the shutter before pulling the slide, but not before I grew to detest the design of Compur shutters.