Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 210mm Lens for 8x10: Spotters Guide

Re: 210mm Lens for 8x10: Spotters Guide

Bob does this mean that there are no changes between the Sironar N MC and the Apo Sironar N except for a stripe and the name change?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamphotoman View Post
    Bob does this mean that there are no changes between the Sironar N MC and the Apo Sironar N except for a stripe and the name change?
    Absolutely no. Lenses evolve over time. The last production of the Apo Sironar N, before they were discontinued, are different then the first production of the Sironar-N MC and they evolved continuously during that time. Changes were not in formula but in centering, polishing, coating technology, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Perhaps that is because Rodenstock never made a Sironar W.
    They made the Apo Sironar in 150, 210 and 300mm and then changed its name to the Apo Sironar W when they introduced the Apo Sironar S line. At the same time they changed the name of the Sironar N MC to the Apo Sironar N.
    I am looking for the APO Sironar W 210mm with the yellow stripe and the 352mm illumination circle. Does that clear it up for you, Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    I am looking for the APO Sironar W 210mm with the yellow stripe and the 352mm illumination circle. Does that clear it up for you, Bob?
    Was never in question. Except for the name. The Apo Sironar was the same lens but did not have any stripe. Have you asked Foto Care?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Was never in question. Except for the name. The Apo Sironar was the same lens but did not have any stripe. Have you asked Foto Care?
    I am looking to buy privately, but thanks. If I don't find one, I don't find one.

John,

You'll find one, but it may take a while. Many of the high end lenses were expensive and not produced in large numbers like the "staples". But one will come along.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    John,

You'll find one, but it may take a while. Many of the high end lenses were expensive and not produced in large numbers like the "staples". But one will come along.

Cheers, Steve
    Thanks Steve. That brings up another point, which is what do these go for since none of them are around? I think Kerry Thalmann's went for $1,200 recently. And I am assuming that one was pristine. But one data point is not a very good way to judge market value.

John,

I think the price will be bounded by its "competition" or rather, similar or somewhat similar lenses. Described pristine 210mm Apo Sironar-S lenses have gone from $650 and routinely sell for around $800, and Jeff Wheeler has one in box on the Quality Camera site for $1,300 that's been there a while. The upper boundary might be considerably less than a used 210mm Super Symmar XL.

I'd hesitate to pay any more than $1,500 for one and I'd have to really want one for that. You'd have to weigh putting this much money into it versus a bit more into the used 210mm SS XL.

Cheers, Steve

I hesitate to post this, for a couple of reasons. nevertheless, I think you should know that the reason I was willing to pay the asking price for Kerry Thalman's 210mm f5.6 APO Sironar was because of who was selling it and the fact that my camera, using a Wisner 51/4 inch lens board is not capable of taking a Schneider 210mm Super-Angulon without having to remove the rear element and then, remove the back of the camera to get access to the back of the front standard through the bellows from the rear . After removing the rear element and mounting the lens board on the front standard, it is then possible to replace the rear element by threading it back on the shutter, reaching up, through the bellows. This is a serious PITA and I tried two ways to avoid having to do it. The first was to acquire a 240mm APO-Sironar-S and, then, due to the difference in focal length, to try using a 210mm APO-Sironar-S. The 210mm APO-Sironar-S barely covers an 8x10 and, so, I began looking for a 210mm f5.6 Sironar or a 210mm f5.6 APO-Sironar-W to replace both the 210mm and 240mm f5.6 APO-Sironar-S lenses.

I looked for a long time until I saw the listing here for the 210mm APO-Sironar and the relative scarcity and the fact that it was replacing two other lenses were the only reasons I was willing to buy the lens at the price at which it was offered. For these reasons and the fact that the lens is in like new condition, I consider the price I paid to be at the very top of the range that ought to be considered in pricing the 210mm f5.6 APO-Sironar or the later AP0-Sironar-W.

Steve B.,

Your reasoning IMO is impeccable, thanks for posting. To solve a specific problem or eliminate 2 for 1 is exactly why you should pay top dollar for a piece of equipment. You're not buying a "silver bullet" or a lens/camera because someone else liked it.

Cheers, Steve