Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you transport your monorail camera?

How do you transport your monorail camera?

I've just gotten my first monorail camera (Sinar Norma 13x18) and I am wondering what is a good way to transport it for short walks.
    I know it is not the best system to take out. I mean from home to about 3-4 blocks around it.

Do you disassemble it?
    Do you move both standards on the rail so they're close to each other? If so, what sort of bag/case do you use so the camera is safe?

Ideally I would like to get a hard case in which the assembled camera could fit upside down (resting on the ends of the monorail)

How do you guys do it?
    Thanks!

Nicolas Belokurov

Re: How do you transport your monorail camera?

Well, I've googled the Sinar you have and it's definitely bigger than the Toyo 45 I'm using, but here is how I transport it. I take both the standards from the rail and carry them in an "assault" type backpack with the lens on. The rail goes on the outside of the backpack , on the ice axe loop. As I use a DSLR for metering/polaroids, I carry it in a compact chest pouch.
    Hope this helps a bit.

It totally does because I really don't see how I could do it with the camera assembled, it just seems too dangerous (for the ground glass and the bellows).

I've seen other configuration with both standards attached to the rail but turned 90º. Bellows off of course.

Nicolas Belokurov

I've checked the Sinar F1/F2 manual and it states that the camera can be transported in the configuration you mention fitted in a flat attache case. Perhaps for 4-5 blocks it could work fine. I carry the heavy wooden tripod I'm using on my shoulder by the way, or just carry it in my hand.

Search around for those who have used baby joggers--strollers with large-diameter wheels intended for taking babies along on runs.

I use a "Rolling Office" which is a mostly cubical briefcase intended to carry files and a computer. My Sinar 4x5 goes into it with the standards mounted, and the monorail sitting atop the lens case and a rear divider, behind which I put extra bellows. I came upon it in an office-supply store and beyond that made it up as I went.

But I really like the baby jogger idea.

I once carried a Cambo monorail with the rail sideways across the top of a Kelty external-frame backpack. Man, was that pack heavy with all the stuff in it! I'm not that fit any more.

Rick "whose only beef with the baby jogger is its bulk in the car" Denney

I've already got a nice folding stroller in which I can carry a Sinar hard case.

I am more concerned about the assembly/disassembly question. I don't want any parts bending or getting hit.
    I'll take it appart and see if it fits the Lowepro. I too carry my tripod in my hand. It's heavy as **** a Manfrotto 075.

Another option I thought of is a soft case, a large one like those used for strobes. They're padded and semi-rigid and can be carried in your shoulder.

Nicolas Belokurov

Well, if you are concerned with the equipment safety and don't have a padded case, you could always buy a standard lowepro or similar backpack and custom pad it inside. I've seen what seems to be some sort of polypropylene material sold in fairly large sheets in construction shops. It's thick and dense, yet pretty light. It can be cut and glued to form any shape inside a standard backpack.

I agree with Rick, the baby jogger is a great way to go. You can haul all of your lenses and film holders along with a big monorail camera with all accessories and tripod with little effort. The joggers do require some modification of course. Some are very versatile and have attachments for pulling behind a bike, hiking, and cross country skiing.

http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/cx.php

I have gone down to the local Hunting and fishing store and purchased a very large backpack, it fits the camera without taking it apart, plus has many pockets for accessories, I put the tripod in one of those sleeves you get when you buy those folding camping chairs and attached it to the backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    lol you gotta be kidding me! I live in a very small town, the minute I set foot on the street I am going to be assaulted by old ladies asking how old she is... too later see a strange device attached to a silver bar inside it.