Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you transport your monorail camera?

Re: How do you transport your monorail camera?

I carry my Sinar Norma in a home-built wooden case that has backpack straps. The case is designed to carry the camera right-side up, fully assembled. This has been more useful for me than a soft-side backpack. In addition to having very rapid access to the camera and lenses without unzipping compartments, the case serves as a pretty nice stepladder for situations when the camera is higher than eye level.

See all the pictures of this home-built case here.

I have an 8x10 B&J grover monorail. I move the standards close to the tripod mounting block in the center of the rail, screw the camera to my tripod, put the focusing cloth over my shoulder for extra padding, and carry the tripod/camera combination over my shoulder. Good for several miles that way, with an old soft-sided 6-pack sized cooler bag for lenses & bits and a cheap padded bag for four to six film holders over the other shoulder for balance. I'm 52 with arthritic knees but it works for me.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Jim Ewins

I strip the rail from the front & rear standards of my 4x5 or 8x10 B & Js wrap them (standards together) in neoprene with velcro closures. I place a stiff piece of cardboard over the glass before wrapping. It all goes in a backpack - it is the lenses that are heavy especially in #3 Copals.

That's quite impressive Philipmorg, I like the way you store your lenses.

Isn't it nice that everyone of you has a different way for carrying your monorail? So many options to choose from.

Leave the rail clamp on the tripod and use a case that will hold the camera assembled and upside down. I am currently using a hard-sided "Anvil" type case that is strong enough for me to stand on (instead of a ladder). The case will hold plenty of film and accessories. It is heavy.

In a way, once you accept the weight and bulk, it is liberating. Working with ultra-light cameras is tedious and slower.

I always assemble and disassemble the camera. It is a lot of hazzle, but I see no other way carrying around my p2 8x10. I have to take the rear standard in my hands. The fits my LowePro Photo Trekker II.
    I could imagine that a 5x7 would fit it totally.
    The tripod can be clipped to the left side and the standards on the right.

A stroller is certainly a good idea if you only use the cam loacally, but not really suitable for airtravel.
    Thomas Birke
    blog -> http://thomasbirke.com
    portfolio -> http://www.birke.net

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    In a way, once you accept the weight and bulk, it is liberating. Working with ultra-light cameras is tedious and slower.
    I'll make that my mantra (though my 105lbs self ain't going to believe it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

In a way, once you accept the weight and bulk, it is liberating.

I can get behind the concept, but my shoulders seem to have their own idea about what my limits are . There is a lot of truth to this comment, though. Its a kind of commitment.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

I've never shared the weight "problem". Neither with Large Format nor medium. I remember people complaining about Pentax67 or the RB's... sure it's heavier than your Kodak Instamatic, it makes takes better pictures too

You just figure a way to carry it, at the end of the line it always works to your advantage. I usually carry strobes, light stands, tripod and cameras. I just put it all on a stroller.

After all, you forget about that day you had to carry all that weight, you just remember what a beautiful big neg you got because the neg is there to remind you every day.

i push the standards together and throw it over my shoulder. i used the rail as a handle. a pretty easy thing to do. at times i leave it atached to teh tripod and carry it all over my shoulder.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery