Thread: homemade shutter (BIG)..

homemade shutter (BIG)..

I have a really nice "norka" barn door shutter in my possession.

A student of mine has decided to build him self a big camera, so he "just" copied the shutter, but made it MUCH bigger..

I am quite impressed! it works fine. The fun part was to hear where he got the bits and pieces for it.. (his father is a doctor, so some stuff comes from a doctors office - some come from the inside of an old broken DVD player... and so on.

I'll show you a couple of images here. First the original Norka - then Christian's.

(maybe there could be a market for this? I hear all the time, that people wants a BIG shutter for their BIG lenses, and this will accept very big ones.!)

Re: homemade shutter (BIG)..

Looks like he did a fantastic job. It wouldn't surprise me if a few people contact him about making more.

In the USA, there is a fairly common shutter of this basic type called the Conley "Silent". They show up on eBay occasionally. Buyer beware, though, they must have the most shipping damage susceptibility of any photographic item. If you have a full-size old studio camera and want to use a brass cannon lens one of these will work as well as any super-size shutter.

Is this totally pneumatic or is there a mechanical piston triggered by the pneumatic pressure! Minumum opening time is?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Is this totally pneumatic or is there a mechanical piston triggered by the pneumatic pressure! Minumum opening time is?
    hi Steven.

As far as I remember, this is totally pneumatic.

We use the Norka one all the time in my studio, and that works like a charm!

Only bad thing is, that there is no "T" setting - we have to manually press the bulp to focus..

Christian, however is planning to make a simple solution on his one, so he will not have this problem.

The shutter is BIG! how big, I'll have to check tomorrow - I frankly don't remember.

Looking at the original adverts for the Norka and Grundner shutters from the 1910's and later, they were always sold with a pressure valve as a continuation of the bulb. These valves were also on sale as an extra. The system was a lever that "pinched" the rubber tubing. Obvious this is a system that requires tubing in good condition and frequent inspection of wear.