Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Citation for stopping to "take pictures"

Re: Citation for stopping to "take pictures"

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The injustice is that in a free society one is entitled to a trial. It's very unjust for the police to be able to stop people and fine them on the spot, then arrest them if they refuse to pay. The injustice in that should be clear, although given the current state of our republic, it may appear just business as usual to some.
    Exactly! It's all about generating revenue.
    They say there are no quotas....
    Next, people will be checked for legal citzenship.....
    ....Oh, I guess thats already happening.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

The injustice is that in a free society one is entitled to a trial.
    He had the option for a trial: refuse to pay, get arrested, arraigned, have a trial.

The injustice is that in a free society one is entitled to a trial. It's very unjust for the police to be able to stop people and fine them on the spot, then arrest them if they refuse to pay. The injustice in that should be clear, although given the current state of our republic, it may appear just business as usual to some.
    He is still entitled to a hearing. If he wants to fight it in court, he can.

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

In most European countries (obviously not Wisconsin) it is a fineable offense to stop on any motorway (highway/interstate) unless it is an emergency - and you WILL receive a very large fine if you do stop. I think the same goes for most US states - although I've lived in 9 states, but not Wisconsin, and never remember it being enforced.

Just another 'experience' to tell your grandchildren

Important question. . . are the cameras safe?
    Last edited by sultanofcognac; 5-May-2010 at 12:15. Reason: added camera question
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Traffic citations of this kind are ordinarily summary offenses, infractions which do not rise to the level of a misdemeanor crime. People are not typically arrested or sent to jail for infractions. The circumstances of the stop make abundantly clear that this was not a serious offense ("I'm guilty, here's my $277.78"/"Off you go then; have a nice day!")

It's an abuse of the American jurisprudence system and abhorrent to this citizen's sense of fairness and decency that the threat of jail is used to strong-arm people into pleading guilty on the spot so that they remain free, versus the choice of going to jail to exercise the fundamental right to the presumption of innocence. Particularly when we're discussing what's essentially a parking ticket.

It bothers me more that while some have not only accepted this extra-constitution rights grab with nary a whimper, others seek to blame the victim.

(And, no, "extra-Constitutional" does not mean "more" constitutional.)

Interesting responses. Seems to me the OP did break the law. The fact that he was fined on-the-spot is most likely because he was not a resident. This is common practice. What are the chances that if just cited with a court date, he would take the time, trouble and expense to return. I'm guessing about zero. On top of that it is assumed the police officer was on the take. Sounds to me like blaming others before accepting responsibility for one's own actions. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

In this day and age of instant information access, you could give an out-of-state driver a citation, and if they failed to pay or appear, that person could be found and arrested by the local constables on behalf of the citing department.

Yes, he broke a law; yes he received a citation; but it sounds like his choice for this very minor offense was to be tried and found guilty on the spot, or go to jail. If all people who were stopped in Wisconsin had only that choice, so be it: but it's discriminatory because you reside elsewhere in the United States.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that Mexico annexed Wisconsin. At least south of the border I'm fully aware that I may be pulled over at any time, tried and found guilty, and fined (amount based on the whim of the federale) on the spot.

Brian

Yes it was illegal to stop. But just because a law is on the books does not mean you should expect it be enforced. Oral sex is still illegal in several states. Its illegal to have sex with a virgin in Washington D.C. My favourite is Alabama where its illegal to wear a fake moustache that makes people laugh in church.

In Wisconsin its illegal to:

Kiss on a train.

Cut a woman's hair.

Wear red in public if you are a woman.

Should I reasonably expect these laws to be enforced?

Like I said I've been doing this for a LONG time and never been fined. I've never even been asked to move along. I've had some cops intrigued by my camera and ask what I'm up to. When I say "taking pictures" they say "have fun".
    A comparable example is that it is illegal to pass on the right or use the left lane for non-passing purposes on all US interstates, yet in my entire life I've only heard of one citation for it. (Though I understand they take it more seriously in Europe.)

It was pointed out that re-entering the interstate is the dangerous part, but like I said, this was far from busy. There were several gaps between vehicles of 10 minutes or more while I was waiting for the trooper to pull up/ write the citation. I would not do this in a place that I felt it would endager me or anyone else.

Forgot to add that, yes, he would accept cash, but no, I paid with credit card to the court district in which I was cited.
    Last edited by AFSmithphoto; 5-May-2010 at 16:15. Reason: Forgot to add something

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    In every state, to gain more revenue, the interstate police (State Police in our state) are enforcing laws they never bothered to before to raise additional revenue.
    Very true,
    in Montreal they are ticketing for tires that touch the curb and have put measuring tapes in squad cars to check the distance to fire hydrants and corners.

Motorists are seen as cash cows, nothing more.

But in Montreal, you only pay once you enter a guilty plea or loose while contesting it in traffic court.
    To be told you must pay in cash on the spot is a fishing expedition hoping for increased fees and court costs.

The fact he was ticketed for stopping is not at all shocking, but his cash now or straight to jail is barbaric.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Very true,
    in Montreal they are ticketing for tires that touch the curb and have put measuring tapes in squad cars to check the distance to fire hydrants and corners.

Motorists are seen as cash cows, nothing more.
    Disgusting. Is tourism revenue not considered? I gotta say I'd think twice about visiting a place that's that extreme.