Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Citation for stopping to "take pictures"

Citation for stopping to "take pictures"

Hello to all,
    Recently while traveling through Wisconsin on a long, 12-state road trip, my cohort and I stopped along the interstate to take a couple of shots. Our vehicle was contained completely within the shoulder, and this was FAR from a busy section of road. While we were shooting, a state trooper coming down from the opposite direction took my friends license and ordered us both back into the car until he was able to reach a turn around and come up behind he. He proceeded to cite us for "stopping for non-emergency purposes" and threatened to take us to jail if we did not pay on the spot due to our out of state plates. He claimed this is standard procedure in EVERY state, yet I have done this HUNDREDS of times in nearly every state in the US, on interstates and off, and yet I have never received or even heard of anyone receiving a citation. Has this fate ever befallen anyone here? Were you in Wisconsin?
    The icing on the cake was that as we were pulling away, someone else pulled off in front of us to open and shut their rear passenger side door and he detained them as well. (Though I obviously can't say that he actually cited them) Needless to say, Wisconsin won't be on any road trips I'll be taking anytime soon.

Re: Citation for stopping to "take pictures"

Did the guy collect cash???..Evan Clarke

You might contact the troopers office & report that, since he possibly pocketed the "fine/bail".
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

hacker extraordinaire

Wow. He was obviously looking to pocket the money. Was he in a real car, with an apparently real badge?

In every state, to gain more revenue, the interstate police (State Police in our state) are enforcing laws they never bothered to before to raise additional revenue.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

In every state I've ever lived in, it's always have been illegal to stop on an interstate except for emergency purposes. The danger comes from trying to reenter the traffic stream. How often this is enforced is another question.

Andrew Moxom

Wisconsin is VERY draconian on their trooper laws. I live in MN and carry my c/card when I venture into 'Sconny' If you are ticketed, you are expected to pay on the spot with cash or credit card. Failure to do so means you GO TO JAIL until funds are secured to pay the fine right then and there. As for stopping on an interstate, did you take drivers ed? That's against the law right there to take pictures without having an emergency situation. You are only allowed to stop for emergency purposes because you, a) broke down, b) had a medical emergency, c) had a flat, or d) were assisting someone else who did have a problem... ie help change a tire or give them water for an overheating situation or something like that. That's the case regardless what state you live in or drive through.

Wow! Fines paid on the spot?!
    It would seem Wisc. is a great place to be FROM.....
    ....As far away FROM as possible!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

it does seem incredibly unfair doesn't it. it is illegal to stop on the interstate for non-emergency purposes. You stopped on the interstate for non-emergency purposes and got a ticket. Oh the injustice of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by AFSmithphoto View Post
    He proceeded to cite us for "stopping for non-emergency purposes"
    Well, what is US and Wisconsin policy? In just about any place in Europe I've ever travelled it is indeed forbidden to stop on multi-lane roads for non-emergency purposes, except for designated parking bays - though YMMV as to where and when it is practically enforced (in southern Italy I've seen a family have a picnic on the shoulder of a six lane motorway - you'd better not try a stunt like that near Milan, and even less so anywhere in northern Europe).