Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Citation for stopping to "take pictures"

Widows and Orphans Beware

Re: Citation for stopping to "take pictures"

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Strikes me as arrogant coupled with a complete disregard for the safety of others.
    I have to credit people with having more sense than signs. On many stretches of interstate it is perfectly safe to pull over and stop.

"Selective enforcement" has been used as a successful defense. More likely, it becomes the basis of an appeal (likely that these cases are a slam dunk at the local magistrate's office).

Discriminatory enforcement targeting only out-of-state residents would be scandalous enough that surely somebody like AAA or the NY Times would be interested in publishing warnings, if a pattern were clear? If indeed such outrageous behavior by Wisc mounties has been going for a period of time, there must already be webpages compiling the specific complaints?

Preston Birdwell

On many stretches of interstate it is perfectly safe to pull over and stop.

Only in a 'perfect' world. While one can make their own choices, we cannot govern the actions of others.

I am a retired fire fighter, and I have scraped many people off of the pavement, or cut them out of mangled vehicles. In many cases, the victim's fate was in the hands of another.

The key, I firmly believe, is to don't take anything for granted, maintain situational awareness, and drive defensively. Here's a video that I found very sobering...

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=-qvXbIenivk

Be safe, everyone.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

It's not a fine. It's a tax. Just like speeding. In almost all states (although Illinois is the worst), If you are convicted of speeding they have weasel words that allow the charges to not appear on your driving record so your insurance does not increase. Even if you are going over 100mph. Stat ovenrments have no interest in safety or anything else that does not increase their revenue stream. Once you think of it as a tax, you'll feel more relaxed about this.
    When i was a kid, one of the most recurring headlines in the newspapers was about the cops breaking up gambling rings. Now the states are the chief purveyors of gambling. It's all about the money.....

But you did break the law........

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    But you did break the law........
    As do 90% of Americans when they go out driving. If you're from near Chicago, the same number probably do so by 10 mph or more.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by AFSmithphoto View Post
    Hello to all,
    . . .
    He proceeded to cite us for "stopping for non-emergency purposes" and threatened to take us to jail if we did not pay on the spot due to our out of state plates. He claimed this is standard procedure in EVERY state, yet I have done this HUNDREDS of times in nearly every state in the US, on interstates and off, and yet I have never received or even heard of anyone receiving a citation. Has this fate ever befallen anyone here? Were you in Wisconsin?
    . . .
    Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that things have not much changed in Wisconsin over the past 50 years or so.

I hope the officer explained to you that he was really doing you a favor. You were committing the more serious offense of driving with out-of-state plates. The reduced charges of "stopping for non-emergency purposes" were far more favorable in your case.

In 1958 my parents moved to the Twin Cities. I was in college at the time so my time spent in the area was limited to summer vacations. Wisconsin at that time had a reputation for issuing speeding tickets for a violation only one or two mph over the speed limit. There were Minnesotans who refused to visit Wisconsin on principle.

Later, when I was living on the east coast and driving through Wisconsin for a visit I was very careful to keep the speedometer a needle width below the speed limit. Driving through Wisconsin Dells on US12 there would be many cars pulled over, mostly out of state.

You may relate to this old story:

Three men, one from Iowa, one from Wisconsin, and one from Minnesota were walking down the beach when they spotted a bottle bobbing around in the surf. They recovered the bottle and as they rubbed it, out popped a Genie.

The Genie said, "Since the three of you together found this bottle, I can only give each of you one wish."

The Iowan went first. He said, "I love my state of Iowa. Unfortunately, the last several years have been bad for agriculture. My wish is that everyone in Iowa will have a great harvest this year."

The Genie blinked twice and said, "Your wish has been granted."

Next the man from Wisconsin spoke up. He said, "My state is a beautiful state. We Wisconsinites always keep it groomed and pristine. However, all of these tourists from outside Wisconsin clog our roads, trash our country side, and they are rude and demanding. My wish is for a 200 foot wall all around our borders to keep these people out."

The Genie blinked twice and said, "Your wish has been granted."

Next the Minnesotan speaks up. "Tell me more about this wall," he says to the Genie. "Is it strong?"

"Oh yes," says the Genie, "it is built out of reinforced concrete."

"Is it thick?" asks the Minnesotan.

"Oh yes," answers the Genie, "it is 150 feet thick at the base and fifty feet thick at the top."

"Fill it with water."
    Last edited by al olson; 9-May-2010 at 17:09. Reason: typo
    al

My wife is from Wisconsin but we live in Gerogia most of the year. We drive there all the time with Georgia plates and I have yet to be pulled over. May be cause we obey the driving laws. Now them doggone people from Chicago are a different story. Unless, of course, they are from the Midwest large format asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Please list the places where it is common practice, so I can avoid going there. It is NOT common practice anywhere I have lived, or anywhere near where I have lived, and that includes at least a third of U.S. states.

Rick "whose relatively few citations have all been no more than a summons to appear, and specifically in writing not a plea of guilty" Denney
    From Michigan statutes:

Question: I was told recently that if you are from out of state and you are pulled over for speeding in Michigan, you must either pay $100 cash immediately or give up your driver's license. Is this correct?

Answer: MCL 257.749(1) states in part "When a person who is not a resident of this state is stopped for a civil infraction...the police officer making the stop shall take that person's driver's license as security for the nonresident's appearance in court and satisfaction of any order which may be issued under section 907 and shall issue to that person a citation as provided in sections 727c and 742."

MCL 257.749(2) states "In lieu of the officer's taking of the license under subsection (1) or before appearance in court, the person stopped may recognize to the officer or to the court for his or her appearance by leaving with the officer or court a guaranteed appearance certificate or a sum of money not to exceed $100.00."

Wow. Betting they have a nice conviction rate on those infractions by out of state residents using this strong arm tactic. License confiscation for a civil infraction seems downright uncivil to me. Potential for unequal application of the law is glaringly obvious. Wondering if the constitutionality of this bullshit statute has ever been challenged?

In many jurisdictions the OP's citation wouldn't amount to a moving violation but a parking violation. Having one's license revoked versus the threat of going to jail are like comparing apples and giraffes.

Anyway, nice reminder to dig out that little card from AAA membership packet to see whether it might qualify as a guaranteed appearance certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    From Michigan statutes:
    This is no different in Illinois. Even if you are an Illinois resident, when you receive a moving violation citation, you must either give the police officer your license, a bond card, or a cash bond. I know from experience, if you can't do this, you are taken to the local police station to wait until someone comes with your license or money to bail you out. This is "per offense" so if you've done multiple things wrong, your license only covers the first offense and you need a bond card or some cash. The ticket is your license until your court date, when they give you back your license. The ticket is not good for bond, so getting a second ticket while driving on one means you better have that bond card or some money.

I know this because I once spent a few hours in the Palos Heights, IL police station waiting for my wife to get home so I could get her on the phone to come bail me out. I had forgotten my wallet, so I had neither license or money on hand. At that time (late 1970's), it had to be cash, not plastic, so my wife, who did not have enough cash, had to wake her mother in the middle of the night to borrow money to bail me out. My mother-in-law (God rest her soul) provided the money, but she did remind me of this from time to time when I was getting too cocky.

--
    Rick