Thread: Maugey (Aine) Petzval - makers info

Maugey (Aine) Petzval - makers info

Just bought this lovely petzval in local antique shop.
    Focal lenght is 210mm aprox., there is not removable aperture disk inside with cca f5. Based on the wheel and no waterhouse slot, i assume that is one of the early lens.

I didn't found any information about this lens in Vademecum or Google, just notice that this lens build was active in fifties (1850), on back lens is only pencil name of manufacturer, unfortunately no date.

Does anybody know more info about this lens maker?

Re: Maugey (Aine) Petzval - makers info

Other than the info in VM, I have seen one listed the last 3 years or so on "that" auction site (or was it a camera auction in Germany?). I don't think you will be able to get more through internet searching.

Pierre Maugey was a well known lens maker in Paris and worked on a very early lens diaphragm in 1858 which he patented.

His patent read as follows:

A.D. 1858, April 22.—N" 887.

MAUGEY, Pierre.—(Partly a communication.) — " Improvements in diaphragms for optical instruments."

This invention relates to a mode of constructing diaphragms, whereby the size of the aperture may be increased or diminished, or regulated at pleasure to the greatest nicety.

This object is effected by making the diaphragm of some elastic material, which is capable of being expanded or stretched. The material which is preferred is a disc or sheet of india-rubber, either vulcanized or in its natural state, or some other analogous elastic material. A small central circular opening is made in this disc, the edges of which are securely held or clamped, and by forcing the disc outwards by " means of any convenient instrument, so as to stretch the material, the central opening or aperture made therein will " be expanded ; or by drawing back the stretching instrument the aperture will be contracted.

The stretching instrument may be actuated by means of a rack and pinion motion, which is the most convenient contrivance for the purpose, but other means may be employed for effecting the object, if preferred."

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Thanks, I found this information also about invention of aperture.

How do you think this lens is old? (1850)?

Hard to say age - could be from 1850-1890's..... any serial number?

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by CCHarrison View Post
    Hard to say age - could be from 1850-1890's..... any serial number?

Dan
    Unfortunately not

Just to add a little information which might be of use.

Maugey's early lenses sold in the UK include the Initials J.F.S. This has been identified by others as being J.F.Shew, who in the 1850's and 1860's was not into making the cameras which are normally associated with him.

A number of J.F.S Petzvals also without Waterhouse slots have been sold in the UK in the last year - but without the Maugey engraving. I bought one of these. There is quite a lot of "evidence" on the edge of the front achromat. There has been a lot of ink writing which has purposely been cleaned off- apart from one "Paris". The initials JFS and the lens serial number has been added in clear pencil. The thick rear lens has exactly the same set of two stage markings. This lens has the rare french speciality of micro engraved serial number on the exterior lens edge.

Like the OP's lens, this one has clear indications that it was once fitted with a central restricting aperture.

Additional, JFS lenses have appeared since this thread "ended" and it is now apparent that
    a lens marked JFS and 4 digit serial number is a Lerebours and Secretan lens. The serial number is provided by Lerebours and they fit into his own serial number sequence. The engraving given to Shew's imported Maugey is unknown at present (feb 2018).
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 22-Feb-2018 at 05:47. Reason: update

I have been told ( from a very reliable source - earlyphotography.uk ) there is a catalogue for J.F.Shew from the 1850's which describes him as an importer of Lerebours & Secretan and Maugey - and "other fine French lenses".

This makes the identification of the engraving JFS as J.F. Shew in the the 1850 as very secure.

Quote Originally Posted by CCHarrison View Post
    Pierre Maugey was a well known lens maker in Paris and worked on a very early lens diaphragm in 1858 which he patented.

His patent read as follows:

A.D. 1858, April 22.—N" 887.

MAUGEY, Pierre.—(Partly a communication.) — " Improvements in diaphragms for optical instruments."

This invention relates to a mode of constructing diaphragms, whereby the size of the aperture may be increased or diminished, or regulated at pleasure to the greatest nicety.

This object is effected by making the diaphragm of some elastic material, which is capable of being expanded or stretched. The material which is preferred is a disc or sheet of india-rubber, either vulcanized or in its natural state, or some other analogous elastic material. A small central circular opening is made in this disc, the edges of which are securely held or clamped, and by forcing the disc outwards by " means of any convenient instrument, so as to stretch the material, the central opening or aperture made therein will " be expanded ; or by drawing back the stretching instrument the aperture will be contracted.

The stretching instrument may be actuated by means of a rack and pinion motion, which is the most convenient contrivance for the purpose, but other means may be employed for effecting the object, if preferred."

Dan
    And I can now provide illustrations of this diaphragm patent - which also confirms the maker of a fairly anon. Petzval. Note that lower down on the lens, there is a more traditional focussing tangential drive!
    My guess is that the number refers to how many have been made with this design feature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

By pure chance, I can give a little more information about Maugey.
    I received a lens to-day EBay/UK. It had lost it’s brass sleeve, but looked like a early Waterhouse conversion of a French lens from around 1860.
    Other people had the same idea, but I was, perhaps, more convinced that others!

It is a well made - and still in perfect condition - French 1/2 plate lens around 200mm and just under F4. And with a sloppy pencil signature on the -ve rear lens showing it was made by “Maugey aine”. So this is what the Maugey signature looks like. There are signs of marks on the front achromat, but they have become a grey smear.

And a bit more information. If you check out this link, you will find a poor example of the Maugey lenses that J.F. Shew sold in London (as J.F.in the early 1850’s.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...rass-269176613

I have added a poor photo of the lens and engraving. The hood is missing and the barrel is mounted incorrectLy in the sleeve. The engraving is “Maugey Aine. J.F.S. No. 82”

Later nov. 2023: found a better engraving of Maugey/ JFS Petzval
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CA8D4B3F-47F5-4A12-828F-23F86CFAD70D.jpg   C434FBE2-73BA-4941-8983-3326974E9DA7.jpg   2FEAF882-6A98-4E0D-A837-3FC67AECCBD3.jpg   IMG_2047.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 31-Oct-2023 at 14:05. Reason: Added better engraving