Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stolen LF equipment. Heart broken, to say the least

Stolen LF equipment. Heart broken, to say the least

Here is a pleasant update to my depressing posts last night.

After speaking with the insurance company yesterday, they indicated a maximum of $250 would be reimbursed. They indicated that it was because my vehicle was not at our own home location at the time of the theft. After an agent called back this morning for some more information regarding the listed items that were stolen, I heard something that puzzled me. I inquired further.

It appears that the person I spoke with yesterday assumed, through a series of wishy washy questions, that these items were used in a business of photography. Not the case. Would I like to make $$$ with these items? You bet. Not the right time, though.

Anyway, because I asked more questions, they re-opened the case, and have sent out the paperwork to get the whole reimburesement process started.

Word to the wise: always ask questions. These people cannot read your mind, even though they have no clue on how to ask direct questions.

Andy, glad to hear that your insurance may pay for the loss. But I am surprised that you left the gear (especially the lens) in your car overnight, because this makes it susceptible to moisture condensation as the temperature falls overnight. I never leave my gear in the car, even when it is parked in my garage.

Andy - This is indeed a depressing story. As someone who has had some prized posessions stolen in the past, I sympathize with your anger and loss. Whatever happens, let's not let the bastards win - you should definitely take that Southwest trip with your wife and your 4x5 in May. (We did the same territory last summer and it was absolutely wonderful.)

If necesary, I have a mint Schneider 210 Apo-Symmar (w/filters) and 15 or so clean film holders which I will lend you for the trip. I don't have a replacement for your 150mm lens, but I do have a very nice 90mm Super Angulon which I can also send you. (Can't see doing the S.W. w/o a wide angle!) All I ask is that you treat them as you would your own gear (and I'm sure you would). Look at it this way - it's a chance for us to stir up that tired old "Schneider vs. Rodenstock" debate once again. :-)

Best wishes, and let me know. I'm in CA, and from your post, you are too?

Cheers!

My sympathies, Andy. Glad to hear your insurance may be able to do better for you. When I was a teenager our home was burglarized. I lost a couple of cameras in the deal, but insurance paid for a better one that I use to this day. I hope things work out that way for you in the end.

Old School Wayne

You are being way to understanding of your insurance company. Its nice that they are going to reimburse you, but thats THEIR JOB and its what YOU PAY THEM to do! They didnt do it properly and it nearly cost you big. Good for you for asking more questions!

When my wife left her Canon EOS Rebel and Canon S-20 digital cameras on an airplane in Amsterdam last year, her insurance company reimbursed her with enough money to buy upgraded replacements--about $1100. You might consider changing insurance carriers, because hers was just a standard homeowners policy.

Register your serial numbers with http://serial.stealitback.com/

Then if it is recovered ANYWHERE the police will know its yours before it gets auctioned off.

There is no way to protect against theft entirely, so comments recommending that the equipment should not have been left in the car aren't going to help. Equipment can be stolen from the home, from a friends' home, from the car, from your person while you shoot... I parked in a municipal lot across the front door from the police station in Bridgeport, CT for a matter of two hours in order to do some research some years ago. I had a van with tow Knaack boxes bolted to it's floor, and anything not inside was locked to the bax handles with bike locks and chains. When I returned to my van one window was shattered and everything moderately quickly stolen with the help of bolt cutters was gone. I saved my lenses and camera because the boxes can only be opened with a carbide drill bit big enough to drill out the cylinder, but everything else was gone. My power pack and heads in locked box chained to the Knaacks, my tripod, and various other odds and ends worth a pretty penny. Whoever did this got my credit cards (in my stolen suitcase inside my Filofax, along with all of my clothes) and had charged $100-$150 on each before I even reported the theft.

I did ok because I have $$$ professional insurance, itemize EVERYTHING I take with me on every trip, have a detailed item list with serial numbers filed with my insurance company, and got a police report.

Andy, sorry about your loss, put the pressure on the insurance company about getting a claim settled before May and you may be under the darkcloth on your trip. If it isn't settled before then don't forego your trip, 35mm may not be LF but it is still better than nothing at all. You and your wife are alive and well and that is the important thing. The trip will still be a great sight seeing adventure and now turn it into a second honeymoon. Happy shooting, Pat.

Re: Stolen LF equipment. Heart broken, to say the least

I wonder how this turned out for Andy. I wonder if he ever got any of his gear back. Andy?