Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asheville, NC

GD Whalen Photography

Asheville, NC

I live in Asheville, NC so if anyone needs help or info about western NC, SC or GA please feel free to contact me. I also grew up in North Florida (Jacksonville) so have quite a bit of knowledge about north Florida and south Georgia.

Re: Asheville, NC

I passed through Asheville once about five years ago, but I have never been back. I'm thinking of taking a road trip in May. Do you have any recommedations for LF (4x5)landscape photography in the Asheville area? Any nice waterfalls, mountain views, etc? Something within a mile or so of a good road?

Jon

GD Whalen Photography

There are probably 30 waterfalls within 10 miles of Brevard, NC which is about 25 miles SW of Asheville. Looking Glass falls is right off of the road and frankly most of the falls from Brevard and around the Highlands, NC area are within walking distance from a road.

The Blue Ridge Parkway runs right through Asheville. Heading south is great for sunsets and heading north is great for sunrises but that is a general rule as each direction has twists and turns that reverse that equation. But generally speaking I head south for sunsets and north for sunrises off of the parkway.

Do a google search for waterfalls and Brevard and there will be plenty of information for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gd whalen View Post
    There are probably 30 waterfalls within 10 miles of Brevard, NC which is about 25 miles SW of Asheville. Looking Glass falls is right off of the road and frankly most of the falls from Brevard and around the Highlands, NC area are within walking distance from a road.

The Blue Ridge Parkway runs right through Asheville. Heading south is great for sunsets and heading north is great for sunrises but that is a general rule as each direction has twists and turns that reverse that equation. But generally speaking I head south for sunsets and north for sunrises off of the parkway.

Do a google search for waterfalls and Brevard and there will be plenty of information for you.
    Thanks! I'll do that.

Jon

My daughter is moving to Boone, NC. We are going to visit the 3rd week in September. Any rocky streams, cascades, clefts with water, waterfalls in the Boone area? Or anything else worthy of wasting some Velvia Quickloads on?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

GD Whalen Photography

Boone is better than Asheville for big water. Check out the falls Linville Gorge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linville_Falls

Also, Grandfather Mtn is a great photography area. You really can't go wrong as Linville/Boone is my favorite part of WNC.

The county Brevard is in has more water falls than any county in the US. Note a tree falls across a creek and they have a new water fall.

Spent numerous summers in this area...beautiful.

Mike

The highest (at 411 feet) and IMO the most spectacular waterfall east of the Mississippi is Lower Whitewater Fall, located about one hour drive from Asheville. There is a very good view of the fall from near the parking lot but if you are really interested in photographing this fall make your way to the bottom of the gorge and meander back up the river toward the fall. You will find many different and interesting views of the fall from the bottom.

The best time to visit the fall IMO is in late October/early November at the time of the fall foliage, or again in mid-March when the trees start to put out their new leaves. The light is best (predominantly from the side) in the mid-morning in the spring and fall so I would recommend getting to the site in the early morning and then immediately walking down the 150+ steps to the bottom. After noon most of your views will be into the sun.

Going down and coming back up from the bottom of the gorge is fairly strenuous so do take this into account.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

GD Whalen Photography

Brevard is in Translyvania County. I have lived in Asheville for 22 years. There are about 250 waterfalls in Translyvania County. That should keep most any landscape photographer busy for a few weeks.

Smile Re: Asheville, NC

We were just in Helen, Ga. for 5 days. photographed Anna Ruby Falls, Desoto (Lower and Upper) Falls, Ravens Cliff Falls, and, my favorite: Toccoa Falls. Prob forgot one or two others . Wow!!! If Brevard Co is better than that then I'm gonna pack up and come back down from Indiana. PS: When are they going to re-open I40?
    Steve Wright