Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikkor W lenses any good?

Nikkor W lenses any good?

I am looking to get some more used lenses, and I see the Nikkor W lenses are quite a bit less expensive used than the latest Rodenstock or Schneider lenses.

I can't find a lot of info on the web about these. I did find one poster compared the 150 W to the Schneider/Rodenstock and found the Nikkor to not be as good, in fact I think he (she?) labeled it a "dog."

How does the 180, 210,or the 240 stack up against the others for color landscape? Anybody using them?

I want to get the best lens I can within reason. I am not opposed to spending the extra if it warrants it. I plan to make at least 10x enlargements from 4x5.

I am also considering the Rodenstock Ronar 240 to because it's compact. How would the performance of the Nikkor W 240 compare to this?

Thanks

Re: Nikkor W lenses any good?

I have a Nikkor 300mm f5.6 W that I use on 8x10. It's very good, but it does not compare to the quality that I get from a Schneider 90mm f8 Super-Angulon on 4x5, which is spectacular. I'm splitting hairs here, I bet it would be pretty hard to tell most modern lenses apart without having the chromes or negatives side by side and studying them with a lupe.

Thanks for the info. I have the Rodenstock Grandagon 90, that I recently purchased and used, just haven't processed the film yet so see the results.

I decided I am just going to go for the Sironar S 210 as my next lens. I've read nothing but good things about the Sironar S series, so I can't go wrong there.

My favorite lens for many years has been the Nikkor 120SW.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks Kirk. I was referring the the W line specifically. I'm just looking at what's available at KEH. I don't see any SW Nikkors, except the 90, which I wanted a while back, but they didn't have in stock, so I got the Grandagon.

I use the 180 W on 5X7. I like the results from the lens...yvmv.

Update. I just ordered the 210 Sironar S from KEH. My only concern is that it might be gigantic. We'll see.

I was on the fence with going 210 or 240. I thought 90, 150, and 210 would be a good 3 lens setup. I'll get a 150 later on... The again so could 90, 180, and 240. I really don't have enough experience with this format yet to tell.

I'm still interested in the Ronar 240. Anybody using this for 4x5 landscape?

Drew Wiley

240 Apo Ronar is usable but a bit tight on 4x5. If you want a small lens with plenty of
    coverage opt for a 240 Fuji A or 250 G-Claron, which have enough coverage even for
    8x10 and are optically very very crisp all the way from closeup to infinity.

I'll keep on the lookout for those. They didn't have the fugi or the Claron at KEH right now either. I was trying to go with what is available.

Thanks for the advice.

The Apo Ronar 240mm has a stated covering power of 212mm at f22 and I have a 300 mm APO Ronar which has a stated covering power of 264mm but it covers also my 8x10 easely!
    So all germans are quite conservative at it!

Cheers Armin