Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a A. J. Thompson & Co Petzval lens about?

Re: What is a A. J. Thompson & Co Petzval lens about?

To me that second letter looks more like the T in Thompson then a J.

Gasc & Charconnet ceased to exist after 1877, so if GC on the lens rim means Gasc & Charconnet, then the glass was made before this date. The brass looks more like the 1890’s or early 20th century. I have not seen this type of text on G & C lenses, either.

At the other end of the time scale, Darlot did not exist after around 1900 when they were taken over by L.Turillon and later absorbed by Hermagis. However, a number of Darlot lens types, not continued by Hermagis, where continued by various companies with brass that seems identical to that found on corresponding earlier late Darlot lenses. Which suggests that a (brass) supplier to Darlot survived the Darlot collapse.

The photo shows the entry for Darlot/Turillon in a catalogue for the French Optical Exposition Paris 1900.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A490EBE0-D1A4-4E00-9F72-AE18865206F7.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 3-Dec-2021 at 12:40.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Gasc & Charconnet ceased to exist after 1877, so if GC on the lens rim means Gasc & Charconnet, then the glass was made before this date. The brass looks more like the 1890’s or early 20th century. I have not seen this type of text on G & C lenses, either.

At the other end of the time scale, Darlot did not exist after around 1905 (absorbed by Hermagis). However, a number of Darlot lens types, not continued by Hermagis, where continued by various companies with brass that seems identical to that found on corresponding earlier late Darlot lenses. Which suggests that a (brass) supplier to Darlot survived the Darlot collapse.
    Thanks. I didn't think it was Gasc & Charconnet because I have owned a couple and these do not look or feel like those. I didn't realize they stopped making lenses that early. I was just wondering if I should have bought Corrado d'Agostini's book, until I saw that he stopped around 1900, so that's not much use either. But this explains why I have several late French lenses that are unmarked but look very similar to lenses made by the big name companies. I don't suppose anyone has done any serious research into these small, late makers?

G&C became C&G (Clement & Gilmer) after being Laverne for a period. Most of the G&C series were continued. The best coverage of the smaller French makers is the the A to Z Pont/Princelle booklets. Much more detailed/reliable than our Italian friend, but also more expensive per page of data!