Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buda or Pest?

Buda or Pest?

Hi all,
    I am relocating to Hungary for an unspecified length of time, and my first few days will be spent in the capital. I will need some supplies right away, and wanted to know if there's a good photo supply store in the city.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: Buda or Pest?

Budapest is a fantastic city with a lot of jugendstil and art deco architecture,
    but i have not observed any photo dealers in the city dealing in large format.

Sorry I can't help with a recommendation on a photoshop. But I can recommend a restaurant:

"Kacsa / Duck Restaurant, Budapest

Kacsa/Duck Restaurant is located in the heart of Buda, close to the danube, accross from the Parliament Building on the other side of the river. The restaurant offers International and Hungarian cuisine, and is famous for its duck specialities, such as crispy roast dick or Rozsnyai-style duck breast. Open daily from noon until midnight. Address: Budapest, II., Fő u. 75. Phone: +36-1-201-9992."

Expensive for Budapest, but moderate compared to a similar meal in Prague and cheap compared to one in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by AF-ULF View Post
    Sorry I can't help with a recommendation on a photoshop. But I can recommend a restaurant:

"Kacsa / Duck Restaurant, Budapest

Expensive for Budapest, but moderate compared to a similar meal in Prague and cheap compared to one in Paris.
    I can also recommend Fülemüle in Köfaragó Utca 5 in Józsefváros VIII. kerület near the Blaha Lujza Ter metro station and the line 4 and 6 trams.

Traditional hungarian and jewish food. The price levels are like Prague.

http://www.fulemule.hu/indexen.html
    Last edited by Per Madsen; 10-Apr-2010 at 07:14. Reason: Address error

Quote Originally Posted by AF-ULF View Post
    crispy roast dick
    Ouch!
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

Quote Originally Posted by CantikFotos View Post
    Ouch!
    ah, painful

Hi!

I am from Hungary. I do not want to disappoint you too much, but in Hungary it is not that easy to get supplies for LF. There are very few shops that sell LF film, and they mostly don't have them in stock. The prices sometimes are double or triple of what they are in western Europe or the USA. If you want you can start at the following link http://www.fotobara.hu/filmek.htm#dia.

I usually order film from abroad (e.g. RobertWhite.co.uk, it usually takes 3-4 working days to arrive) and I have never had any problems with films delivered this way. So if you can, you are probably better bring some film with you (but on airports be aware of X-rays, ask hand inspections if you can) or you can order from abroad too.

With photo labs the case is even more disappointing. If you need you can have your films developed at he following place http://www.cpd-kft.hu/. Also if you are in need of help I can have your film developed by my friend (He has a photo school where we teach LF too and do lab work www.fotosuli.hu).

By the way, where will you be staying after the first few days spent in the capital?

Thank you, Laj, that's the kind of information I was looking for.
    I will probably bring my B&W processing equipment unless other equipment can be arranged, and I will do as you suggest, bring film or order it sent to Hungary.
    My wife and I are having a baby in July in Miskolc, but we'll be in the capital at various times.
    Thanks again, Laj, I will probably send you a PM soon, and thanks to all for the restaurant reviews

I found a nice photo store in Pest, I believe it was across from the Kalvin Ter metro stop, near where the road curves around to the national museum. It didn't have much film, but they have a lot of cool old cameras there. I bought a Moskva 6x9 folder in really nice condition there.

By the way, Budapest may be the most photogenic city on the planet. It's amazing.

Maybe you can find stores for chemicals and papers for b&w darkroom, some years ago such stuff has been very cheap there and I just crossed the border and got it locally, but I havent done darkroom work for the past years.
    Its also possible to find old LF stuff at fleemarkets and second hand shops, best to become a collector.
    Dont expect to find something recent, beside maybe consumer electronics. Its a very poor country and far away from what we know as westen hemisphere.^^
    People are very polite and nice and proud and drink a lot.
    Have fun
    Martin