Thread: Componon-S 5.6/135 hardware qustion

Warren

Componon-S 5.6/135 hardware qustion

There is a knurled slide control, in a two-inch slot, just aove the f-stop ring and just below the word 'Componon' on the barrel of my Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S 5.6/135 enlarger lens. I don't know the function of that slide. Does anybody know?

Re: Componon-S 5.6/135 hardware qustion

My Componon-S 150/f5.6 has a similar slide: it engages/disengages the click-stops when changing aperture. That is, in one position there is a detent for each half stop, while in the other position the detents are disengaged and you can set the aperture anywhere you like. (I prefer detents coz it makes it easier to change stops in the dark).

HTH

Warren

Thanks, Carey. That's apparently it. But the clicks on mine are so subtle--probably worn--as to be virtually imperceptible. Now that I know, I'll have to ignore it. Pity. I like things to work.
    Warren Kornberg

Warren, I can't feel the click stops on mine either, it is kind of annoying to have to
    get out the red flashlight to change stops after focusing but it is such a nice lens that
    it's worth it to put up with the annoyance.
    regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by wskmosaic View Post
    Thanks, Carey. That's apparently it. But the clicks on mine are so subtle--probably worn--as to be virtually imperceptible. Now that I know, I'll have to ignore it. Pity. I like things to work.
    Warren Kornberg
    The click-stops on mine are barely perceptible as well (certainly nothing by comparison with my El-Nikkors) but they are there. While I said they make it easier to change stops in the dark, I still tend to focus, then turn white-light back on to stop-down.

And +1 on Erik Larsen's comment - my 150 is my favourite enlarging lens for 4x5.

Regards

My new componon-S lenses came with a lifetime warranty, that should be covered.

If it is a used lens, you may be able to improve it.

I got a cheap fleabay Componon-S 150 once that had weak stops. I don't recall on that lens if it has a coil-spring and ball or if it uses a piece of spring steel, but even after cleaning and tweaking, it was still weaker than the stops on the more modern plastic Componon-S. Perhaps a design problem.

there is a fancy f-stop preselection system on my rodagon 135, which is a fairly late model. I was wondering about the lack of click stops as well before I found out how it worked

it took me a while to figure it out, maybe the componon has got a similar system. on the Rodagon you pull the whole aperture scale down to pre-select your desired f-stop, then you can open the lens to max, but only close it to the number you selected.

really nice system that. one move and you close the lens to your wish - say f 11. but be awre that this is on the Rodenstock Rodagon 5.6/135mm

btw: dop you guys prefer the Componon over the Rodagon? my lens developed a slight fungus , and I`m on the market for a new lens ...

Warren

I don't know the Rodagon, but the Componon is a pretty nice lens, and they seem not too expensive. Though you'd have to get along without the preset.
    Warren

I just bought one of these. What's the mounting thread?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcguckin View Post
    I just bought one of these. What's the mounting thread?
    M50 x 0.75

https://schneiderkreuznach.com/appli...-S_5-6_135.pdf