Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Film... a thing of the past.

Fuji Film... a thing of the past.

Does anybody have any CONFIRMED information regarding Fuji discontinuing ALL film production? I've heard everything from no more Quickloads & 50 sheet boxes to ALL film production coming to an end.

A few years back, I stockpiled about $4K worth of 4x5 Velvia 50, when I heard is was going to be discontinued. A few months later, they re-released Velvia 50. (Anyone need any 220 Velvia 50? (I have a Sh _ _ load in my freezer). Is this just marketing or a sobering sign of the times?

Can any of you smart guys shed a little light on Fuji's film situation before I stockpile 4x5 Provia & Astia?

Thanks!
    JG

Question Re: Fuji Film... a thing of the past.

I have not heard anything about Fuji dropping analog films.

Re: Fuji Film... a thing of the past.

Fuji has recently discontinued several professional films. Some of these are simply packaging changes - for example, dropping individual 120 rolls or 20-packs but introducing five-roll packs instead. Some are outright product terminations.

Full details are stated clearly in the product listings on the Fujifilm Japan website. Here's a summary in English:

http://www.japanexposures.com/2010/0...ze-film-lineup

It is a major consolidation of the line, but it's also very far from "discontinuing all film production".

Is it time for the monthly "Film Is Dead" thread already? My, how time flies when you're busy taking pictures.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Troll!

I suppose you have lots of stock in Kodak (EK) and hope this gives a boost on Monday.

Lachlan 717

Search for Ilford's last financial report and you will see film (in particular, LF) is back into the black as far as units sold.

So, perhaps Gordon's right; you are trolling..
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    Is it time for the monthly "Film Is Dead" thread already? My, how time flies when you're busy taking pictures.
    Not to worry, it's always being closely followed by a few of the "Digital Sucks" threads. Something for everybody...

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Search for Ilford's last financial report and you will see film (in particular, LF) is back into the black as far as units sold.

So, perhaps Gordon's right; you are trolling..
    If I read the OP's question correctly, he's been specifically asking about Fuji films, color films at that. I don't see what does Ilford have to do with it?

Given Fuji's history of obfuscation and the current state of the industry, chances of this being a legitimate question as opposed to trolling are at least even if not better.

Please allow the OP a bit of slack, folks. It really has been difficult to sort rumor from fact on this, especially if you don't read Japanese and thus don't have direct access to the information on Fuji's home market website. Fuji's distributors do a poor job of keeping up with the announcements in Japan and explaining the implications for their respective markets.

Preston Birdwell

I agree with Oren. This film availability thing really has been a cluster function, and it's been difficult to find factual info.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Japan Exposures

Surely (hopefully?) they would announce a total discontinuation of all film products more clearly than how things were communicated this time...