Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to LF.. 110B conversion or Linhof?

Re: New to LF.. 110B conversion or Linhof?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Flodders View Post
    On the other hand, if the subject is impatient and doesn't wish to sit still while you mess around, then the Polaroid is a far better tool. You can focus with the rangefinder and be gone in a second. It's also lighter and faster than a Linhof. I have a Master Tech and it's a gem, but there's no way I'd wander the streets shooting with it held up to my eye, it's plainly too heavy and awkward.
    I do it often with my tech V. yeah, it's awkward and heavy, but with the grip, it's pretty nice. You can support it underneath with the right hand, which also leaves the right hand close for focusing. I agree that movements would be tough hand-held though.

I would bet that the Polaroid rangefinder would have a far better chance of focusing a Xenotar than would the Linhof due to its design, although at f2.8 the DOF of the Xenotar would be insanely small.
    What makes you say that? The rangefinder base length is pretty long on the Technika, no? It's all the way up the side of the camera. Certainly longer than a Leica, and some Leicas can focus an f/0.95. If you send the lens to be cammed by Marflex, I'm sure it will be tack sharp at f/2.8 at all distances.

Maybe I'm missing something? (it wouldn't be the first time...)

Quote Originally Posted by alexmacphoto View Post
    Ok .. from what I am reading it seems I need a Speed Graphic or Linhof. It is critical that I get selective focus from the camera.

I have an opportunity to get a Linhof Technika IV with a 150mm/4.5 lens for $1000. It is in great shape.

What are my other options? Graflex? Which model? What about Toyo 45CF? It doesn't have a RF, so I assume that I would focus on the ground glass and then slide the polaroid magazine in when it is ready?
    If tilt and swing are paramount to you, get something that is designed to tilt and swing, like a used monorail like a Sinar F or Linhof Kardan or Toyo whatever. Even the really really nice stuff (Linhof and Sinar) is ridiculously cheap right now (a few hundred $$ and you will have your choice). If you really need RF, then the monorails aren't for you. But everyone above is right when they say it is extremely unlikely you will be doing movements handheld.

The Linhof Technika is justifiably more expensive because it does everything in one package: RF handheld, triple extension, solid as a rock, and LOTS of movements, much more than a speed graphic. However, will you need more movements than a speed graphic? You may not...

I really would like to have a rangefinder because I would prefer to focus as quickly as possible. I will be shooting on a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmacphoto View Post
    I really would like to have a rangefinder because I would prefer to focus as quickly as possible. I will be shooting on a tripod.
    Maybe what wasn't mentioned on here is that tilts/swings and rangefinder use are mutually exclusive. From your comments I am guessing you may be hoping to use them both at the same time.

When you tilt or swing, part of the lens plane ends up closer to the film plane while the other half gets farther away (axis tilt), or the whole thing gets closer or farther away, but on an angle (base tilt). After a tilt or swing, the rangefinder is no longer calibrated to where the lens plane is, so you can't use the rangefinder to focus. Thus, unless you want to just guess completely and do scheimpflug in your head, you will have to use the ground glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hodos View Post
    What makes you say that? The rangefinder base length is pretty long on the Technika, no? It's all the way up the side of the camera. Certainly longer than a Leica, and some Leicas can focus an f/0.95. If you send the lens to be cammed by Marflex, I'm sure it will be tack sharp at f/2.8 at all distances.
    I don't dispute the accuracy of the Linhof rangefinder at all, but the biggest downer is having to focus through a keyhole, (especially difficult in low light) then compose the shot through the finder. I have the Linhof multi-focus unit, but this still means I must set the distance on both the focus rail and then the finder in order to obtain parallax correction in close.
    The whole Linhof thing is just too slow and I'm bound to forget to do one thing or the other.
    On the other hand, Polaroid's finder is real time connected so you can focus, compose and shoot all at once without taking your eye off the subject. It's almost as quick and easy as using a DSLR. To me, it's a case of horses for courses.

GF.

Well for better or worse... I am the proud owner of a Linhof Technika IV. I got a good deal on Ebay.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

You can't go wrong with a Linhof Technika, although you may need to send it in to the service center for rangefinder adjustment and a general clean, lube, adjust service. As with all high quality items, the service is expensive. The USA service center is excellent.

You have a steep learning curve all the same. You'll find that using a rangefinder ON a tripod is pretty tough because you will need to move the camera in order to find the plane - surface to focus on and then recompose the photo after focusing. So you can do that, perhaps while the camera is mounted to a loose ballhead, and then tighten it up for the shot, but it's not easy-peasy.

What some people do is use a measuring string or they blast it with a lot of light and stop down or the fix a laser beam to be the focus point or some kind of scheme.

Or they just use really good models who will hold still for the 10-40 seconds you need to move from focusing and composing to exposure. That's what I do and it is most likely what Roversi, Avedon, Penn, etc. did too (and thousands of others).

You can try to get lucky shooting LF on the fly, but it comes down to a crapshoot of blasting away hoping a few sheets are in focus. You do a lot better with a good medium format or digital in these situations. The negative from a Mamiya RB-RZ will usually reproduce with more than enough quality on the printed page to fool anyone into thinking it could be 4x5 as well.

Congratulations on that! I just recently bought a Linhof Master Technika, almost the same camera, and I was just out today for the first time. If I didn't screw anything up, I got anywhere between 0 and 10 great shots

In general the camera delivered exactly what I hoped for, although the movements were a little stiff. I will see if there is anything I can do about that, like careful cleaning and lubrication.

I'll try to get some shots of it up in the "Show your Camera" thread as soon as I develop a photo taken with it to go along with the post.

I don't dispute the accuracy of the Linhof rangefinder at all, but the biggest downer is having to focus through a keyhole, (especially difficult in low light) then compose the shot through the finder. I have the Linhof multi-focus unit, but this still means I must set the distance on both the focus rail and then the finder in order to obtain parallax correction in close.
    The whole Linhof thing is just too slow and I'm bound to forget to do one thing or the other.
    On the other hand, Polaroid's finder is real time connected so you can focus, compose and shoot all at once without taking your eye off the subject. It's almost as quick and easy as using a DSLR. To me, it's a case of horses for courses.

GF.
    Gordon you are absolutely right. I have struggled with this too. My latest attempt is to frame with the telescoping finder thing on top, then look through the rangefinder, note where the rf window is pointing, then rf focus on what I want to focus on, then point the rf window back at the place that it was when i first looked through it, then take the shot. This minimizes the number of times i have to move my whole head in relation to the camera. After a while of doing this, I know with a certain lens and a certain distance, for instance, i can point at someone's left shoulder and their head will be more or less centered in the final shot, etc. It's not bad, but the polaroid conversion would be much quicker and better for this, you are right. I have wanted a razzle ever since I've heard of them (but since I don't *need* one as I already have the Technika, I buy other stuff instead. I wish I could just save money in these situations. oh well)

Alex, congrats on the Technika!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarstenW View Post
    Congratulations on that! I just recently bought a Linhof Master Technika, almost the same camera, and I was just out today for the first time. If I didn't screw anything up, I got anywhere between 0 and 10 great shots

In general the camera delivered exactly what I hoped for, although the movements were a little stiff. I will see if there is anything I can do about that, like careful cleaning and lubrication.

I'll try to get some shots of it up in the "Show your Camera" thread as soon as I develop a photo taken with it to go along with the post.
    Carsten, I'm not affiliated, but I seriously suggest sending your Technika to Martin at Marflex. He will go over everything, and the rates are very reasonable. My Tech V (way older than your master) came back looking like new, it was unbelievable.