Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: soft focus landscape

Re: soft focus landscape

Wista Rittreck, 13x18, Wollensak Verito.
    0074 by Вячеслав Филатов, on Flickr

OK, which is which? I like the higher contrast right one, but sure don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Made some contact prints of that image. I used some matte Ilford fiber paper, and then out of curiosity, tried a print using textured ART 300 paper to see how the texture would interact with the soft-focus. I find it very interesting, and accentuates the abstractness of the form. Probably not everyone's cup of tea. While it's not the same as actual prints, here is scans of the matte and ART 300 prints:

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by slavatokar View Post
    Wista Rittreck, 13x18, Wollensak Verito.
    Ahh, the bridge to solitude. A lovely image.

Jim, interesting observation! jp, yeah it's hard to scan but the rough texture makes it look much more impressionistic.

Randy, left is MGIV, right is ART300. The texture may be enhancing what you are seeing as contrast (well, and Warmtone emulsion has a bit more trouble with highlights than MGIV).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks Bryan. My eyes are foggy, details are often missed. Contrast helps.

How do you like ART 300 under exhibition glass?

I find it fascinating bare assed, but I like all prints naked...

And a blessing they do not work on a computer screen or cell phone!

Jim, interesting observation! jp, yeah it's hard to scan but the rough texture makes it look much more impressionistic.

Randy, left is MGIV, right is ART300. The texture may be enhancing what you are seeing as contrast (well, and Warmtone emulsion has a bit more trouble with highlights than MGIV).
    Tin Can

I think the effect sadly is lost under glass. But, I haven't put any prints under the highest-quality AR coated glass, which may be a little better. I should try that.

I have sold a number of prints made on ART 300 at festivals, and I always take them out of the poly bags to show the texture (and this usually makes the sale as this kind of surface is unusual and novel). My recommendation to the buyers is that they can mount them sans glass, but just make sure they aren't subjected to any poor treatment. Say, if someone is spraying Febreze or something around their house, don't accidentally spray the bare print, and dust it off regularly. In a couple weeks I'm going to a festival where I remember selling a print to a local last year who also shot film and understood the qualities of a SG print. Maybe he'll come and I'll ask him if he hung it up w/o glass.

For a while I had some SG prints w/ no glass around the house and they were fine.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I hang all of my carbon transfer prints without glass. Always have.

ANd they are beautiful!

I have 20 year old 35mm enlarged SG FB prints hung continuously without glass which have weathered inside well, never dusted.

I rode motorcycles inside the space. Briefly I admit, but it was the best way to get them in and out.

Smokers were welcome as i hated making them go outside in Chicago winter.

Life is too short to be

I think the effect sadly is lost under glass. But, I haven't put any prints under the highest-quality AR coated glass, which may be a little better. I should try that.

I have sold a number of prints made on ART 300 at festivals, and I always take them out of the poly bags to show the texture (and this usually makes the sale as this kind of surface is unusual and novel). My recommendation to the buyers is that they can mount them sans glass, but just make sure they aren't subjected to any poor treatment. Say, if someone is spraying Febreze or something around their house, don't accidentally spray the bare print, and dust it off regularly. In a couple weeks I'm going to a festival where I remember selling a print to a local last year who also shot film and understood the qualities of a SG print. Maybe he'll come and I'll ask him if he hung it up w/o glass.

For a while I had some SG prints w/ no glass around the house and they were fine.
    Tin Can

From two days ago, walking distance from home, but it is a steep uphill with the 8x10. All shot using Port-Land lenses 18" or 11.5".
    I wish I had the 15" to complete that series...

11.5" at f/5.6

18" at 5.6