Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berlebach Tripod

Berlebach Tripod

I have a Berlebach tripod which I believe is the model 2042. It has two section legs and a tilting center column. I really like the tripod except for one thing- the leg spread. There are two stop positions for the legs. The one indicated by a red line on the adjustment wheel gives a very low, spread out position that can be useful for close to the ground work, but nothing else. The second position, marked with a white line, gives a tall position, but the legs are so steeply angled that I am afraid that the whole thing will tip over. Every other aspect of the tripod is so nicely designed that I wonder if I am missing something. If not, has anyone modified their Berlebach to give a more stable leg spread?

Re: Berlebach Tripod

I have the same tripod and use it in the white position for normal setup. I use it for my 8x10 and have never felt as though it was tipsy.

This is my sacrificial tripod for doing salt water and creek work. I'm on my second one because I lost the first one (long story). Very dependable and a good value.

Your tri[pod has 3 leg spread angles; red, white and black. Also the model number is printed on one leg.

Bob,
    The model number is not visible on the legs. They have the text "Made in Germany Berlebach Mulda". I believe that Mulda is their location. There is no other text on the legs.

For my tripod, the white setting is to steep (measures 19deg from vertical), the red setting is the low setting I mentioned (measures about 45deg), and the black setting simply allows the legs to go completely horizontal (no stop). None of these settings are what I would want for normal setups. I think an angle of around 25 degrees would be ideal. My Manfrotto tripods measure about 24 degrees at their normal spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Your tri[pod has 3 leg spread angles; red, white and black. Also the model number is printed on one leg.

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Cool Re: Berlebach Tripod

David,

I have the 9043 Report and have used it for almost seven years. I use my Berlebach exclusively with my LF gear (4x5 and 8x10) because i know the tripod is very stable and yet flexible enough to handle any setup I can throw at it. There are three settings for the legs, as Bob mentioned, and with these I've never wanted or needed another. I have three other tripods that I use for my MF and digi gear but trust my LF only to the Berlebach.

Your tripod raises to a maximum of 160 cm but takes 12 kg - mine raises to 200 cm but is only rated to 8 kg, and I use my 8x10 on it with confidence.

Yes, they're located in Mulda, Germany, here's their info:

BERLEBACH STATIVTECHNIK
    Wolfgang Fleischer
    Chemnitzer Str. 2, D-09619 Mulda
    Tel. +49(0)37320/1201
    Fax +49(0)37320/1202
    berlebach@t-online.de
    www.berlebach.de

The Ash wood is flexible and can take anything you can dish out. Salt water just washes off, and if the tripod is wet just wipe it down and let it air dry.

Don't fear that the tripod will tip over unless it isn't level. This isn't the first tripod they've built

Cheers,

Johnny
    Last edited by sultanofcognac; 31-Mar-2010 at 00:44. Reason: added tripod height info
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

You can get a 3 section chain from Berlebach that attaches to the legs and will keep them from spreading too far when using the black setting - check their web site.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had not noticed the chain on their website, but I did notice the eyes on the leg straps- I assumed they were for a chain or rope. The Zone VI tripod used this method to stabilize the legs. I will try a chain or rope, as well as working with the white setting to see if I can get comfortable with it. As I stated earlier, I like everything else about the design of the Berlebach- it seems perfect for 8x10 work.

Quote Originally Posted by R Mann View Post
    You can get a 3 section chain from Berlebach that attaches to the legs and will keep them from spreading too far when using the black setting - check their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by David E. Rose View Post
    Bob,
    The model number is not visible on the legs. They have the text "Made in Germany Berlebach Mulda". I believe that Mulda is their location. There is no other text on the legs.

For my tripod, the white setting is to steep (measures 19deg from vertical), the red setting is the low setting I mentioned (measures about 45deg), and the black setting simply allows the legs to go completely horizontal (no stop). None of these settings are what I would want for normal setups. I think an angle of around 25 degrees would be ideal. My Manfrotto tripods measure about 24 degrees at their normal spread.
    Then just go to Home Depot or any other hardware store and buy some link chain and small S hooks and make your own.

There is a model number on every tripod. Just check each leg and the casting carefully. It does not jump out at you.

I had several Berlebachs but kept the Report 8023 after switching to another brand and the white setting is fine as others have posted. Also, the only place I can find any identifier is a label/ sticker on one of the leg lock brackets.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Film and Darkroom User

Quote Originally Posted by R Mann View Post
    I bought the chain but it is quite heavy (and noisy!). I fitted some 1" keyrings to the legs and now use a 1" climbing tape with a buckle. Much lighter and no noise