Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your method for making digital negatives?

Re: What is your method for making digital negatives?

I use QTR here, and found Ron Reeder's site extremely helpful in getting started along with Kerik Kouklis' invaluable advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    QTR is a pretty amazing piece of software. I've used it for 5 processes now with the 3800, can't seem to stump it. It is a little complicated at first, but fairly intuitive and very efficient once you get familiar with the routine. Well worth the $50 donation.
    Agreed. I use QTR.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Thanks for the answers!

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the very insightful information. I'm curious as to what attracted you back to PDN. I have a couple of friends who prefer that method too.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Most people appear to use one of the following systems.

The first two methods, which involve making and applying a correction .acv curve in Photoshop, are about equally easy (or difficult) to learn. The third method is based on QTR and involves creating a correction profile for the printer.
    I personally used PDN for several years, then tried and switched to QTR, but more recently switched back to PDN.

Sandy King

PDN
    http://www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com/

RNP
    http://www.inkjetnegative.com/images/RNP/rnp.htm

QTR
    http://www.ronreeder.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Larry McNeil View Post
    Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the very insightful information. I'm curious as to what attracted you back to PDN. I have a couple of friends who prefer that method too.

Larry
    Several reasons.

First, in spite of extensive testing of QTR with the Epson 3800 I was never able to get rid of the grainy look in my carbon transfer printing. I switched from MK to PK and tried many different profiles with the right blocking density but regardless of what I did my prints looked too grainy for taste. Perhaps if I had used another half ton of Pictorico and wasted several hundred more hours in testing I would have eventually found a profile that printed smoothly but alas, there is only so much time! And deep down I have come to suspect that the Epson driver is capable of smoother printing than QTR.

Second, PDN is a relatively simple method and with reasonable care one can derive a correction curve in two or three hours of testing. And on the second try I found a PDN color that printed in carbon transfer with no grain, as smooth as if printing with my LF negatives.

Third. I originally started using QTR because I was convinced by the argument that applying the corrections directly to the hardware with a printer profile, as in QTR, offered the possibility of greater control of tonal values than applying a correction .acv curve in Photoshop. In practice I did not find this to be the case and the prints I have made with .acv corrections curves are just as good in terms of tonal control as those made with QTR profiles.

QTR is a great software for making prints on papers, especially with split-toning, but for making digital negatives I found it to be less than perfect for my own work. And I would emphasize, my opinions are based on my work alone as I am aware of several experienced alternative printers who are very happy with QTR.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Several reasons.

First, in spite of extensive testing of QTR with the Epson 3800 I was never able to get rid of the grainy look in my carbon transfer printing. I switched from MK to PK and tried many different profiles with the right blocking density but regardless of what I did my prints looked too grainy for taste. Perhaps if I had used another half ton of Pictorico and wasted several hundred more hours in testing I would have eventually found a profile that printed smoothly but alas, there is only so much time! And deep down I have come to suspect that the Epson driver is capable of smoother printing than QTR.

Second, PDN is a relatively simple method and with reasonable care one can derive a correction curve in two or three hours of testing. And on the second try I found a PDN color that printed in carbon transfer with no grain, as smooth as if printing with my LF negatives.

Third. I originally started using QTR because I was convinced by the argument that applying the corrections directly to the hardware with a printer profile, as in QTR, offered the possibility of greater control of tonal values than applying a correction .acv curve in Photoshop. In practice I did not find this to be the case and the prints I have made with .acv corrections curves are just as good in terms of tonal control as those made with QTR profiles.

QTR is a great software for making prints on papers, especially with split-toning, but for making digital negatives I found it to be less than perfect for my own work. And I would emphasize, my opinions are based on my work alone as I am aware of several experienced alternative printers who are very happy with QTR.

Sandy King

Hi Sandy,

I've always followed your writing and love your work. Just found this old thread as I am looking to embark into making digital negatives. I am using exclusively Jon's Piezography with two Epsons 3880 (one for sepia matte and one for selenium/warm neutral gloss). Can I use K7 inks with PDN or do I need to stick with QTR and drive myself crazy wasting Pictorico and ink?

Thanks very much for your help.

Max

www.maxmarinucci.com

Max,

I feel confident that you could make good digital negatives with QTR and the K7 selenium/warm neutral gloss set. The problem is I don't know anyone who is doing this so you will have to start from scratch in making your profile with QTR. You might have noticed that I am currently working on a profile myself for digital negatives the Epson 7600 and the K7 selenium set, though I am trying to use the matte black as I would also like to use the printer for making matte digital inkjet prints. The idea of using four to seven shades of gray to make a digital negative has in theory some clear advantages, but to translate this to reality may take some work.

PDN is a multi-component system and you could use parts of it regardless of the ink set in the printer, but in practice it is designed as a complete workflow where you are using color inks and the Epson driver.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Max,

I feel confident that you could make good digital negatives with QTR and the K7 selenium/warm neutral gloss set. The problem is I don't know anyone who is doing this so you will have to start from scratch in making your profile with QTR. You might have noticed that I am currently working on a profile myself for digital negatives the Epson 7600 and the K7 selenium set, though I am trying to use the matte black as I would also like to use the printer for making matte digital inkjet prints. The idea of using four to seven shades of gray to make a digital negative has in theory some clear advantages, but to translate this to reality may take some work.

PDN is a multi-component system and you could use parts of it regardless of the ink set in the printer, but in practice it is designed as a complete workflow where you are using color inks and the Epson driver.

Sandy
    Thank you, Sandy, for the speedy reply! Was not aware of your latest effort on the profile with the selenium set but I would be very interested in hearing more about it since I have the same set up in the gloss printer with matte in the first position to be able to do matte prints with the set as well. I guess I could always ditch the sepia in the other 3880 and turn it back to Epson to use PDN but I really love that ink set. Do you feel that is worth the effort of doing that with PDN instead of fighting QTR or PDN with Piezography? Decisions, decisions..

Best,

Max

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Thank you, Sandy, for the speedy reply! Was not aware of your latest effort on the profile with the selenium set but I would be very interested in hearing more about it since I have the same set up in the gloss printer with matte in the first position to be able to do matte prints with the set as well. I guess I could always ditch the sepia in the other 3880 and turn it back to Epson to use PDN but I really love that ink set. Do you feel that is worth the effort of doing that with PDN instead of fighting QTR or PDN with Piezography? Decisions, decisions..

Best,

Max
    Max,

The thread is here if you are interested. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=68303

I really can not answer the question about ultimate image quality re: QTR with K7 Piezography versus PDN as I just don't have enough experience yet. I have made some very nice prints with digital negatives with QTR and the Epson UC inks, and some very nice prints with digital negatives with PDN. Without question the PDN work flow is easier to master, unless you can find someone with a good QTR profile for the process you want to use. Unfortunatlely I just don't know anyone with a good QTR profile for printing digital negatives with K7 inks with either the 7600 or 3800 (3880).

Sandy

Matt,

I forgot to mention one thing about making digital negatives with K7 Piezography inks, and that is the fact that it is not possible to edit the K7 profiles with the regular QTR tools supplied by Roy Harrington. Instead, the K7 profiles were created by Vermong Inkjet with their own software, which I don't believe is available to an individual And even if it were Jon Cone suggests that editing the complex curves would not be feasible for most people.

At this time I have someone working with me in creating a digital negative profile for my carbon printing but it has turned out to be a fairly complicated endeavor. I must admit that had I know that the K7 profiles could not be edited with the regular QTR tool set I might have decided to stay with the Epson color ink set, or substitute that with the InkjetMall color ink set.

Sandy