Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calumet 4x5s

hacker extraordinaire

Calumet 4x5s

I have the opportunity to buy a Calumet 4x5 camera in usable condition for not much at all. I only have a speed graphic now, and I have been wanting something with more movements for studio and still life work. I'm hesitant to buy a cheap camera now and then rebuy one later but can't afford a nice one right now. What kind of shortcomings or drawbacks do the Calumet cameras have over a more expensive view camera?

Joel Edmondson

Re: Calumet 4x5s

Assuming that you are referring to the monorail versions, the major difference is in the lack of gear-driven "micro-drives" for swings, tilts... they are a basic no frills approach and are capable of accomplishing the same results as higher-priced cameras though they may be a bit slower in use. I still have, and use, one of the short-rail 400 series cameras and I have yet to find a view camera that I like better for wide-angle use. Obviously opinions vary (and for good reason) but the fact remains that they are robust, inexpensive, and very serviceable.

If you find a nice clean one they are great. Sometimes you will get creep when you point them down and the standards slip a tiny bit. And the long rail is awkward, it makes it harder to transport the camera. But for $100 or so they are pretty hard to beat, like your Speed Graphic.

hacker extraordinaire

I'm normally a "hold out till you can afford what you really want" but this one is going for $50 and I have a feeling he will take $40. At that price I figure I can't really lose.

I use one and even though it is slower to use and a bit more to transport, it is working out well, you will need a good tripod it is heavy. I also love my speedy

W K Longcor

If this is the early Calumet base on the Kodak Master --and if the bellows are good - you can't find a better camera -- fancier YES - better, NO. I still have my old Kodak master -- bought used in the 1960's. I have several Sinars now , too. I will never part with the Kodak. In some repects, it is faster to set up and use than the Sinars. Any and all mechanical problems that arrise from age and use are usually fixable with little effort. Learn all about swings and tilts with this camera and using the fancier stuff will come even easier - but then again, you may find that you don;t need the fancier stuff.

hacker extraordinaire

Well this is what I have to go by

It looks a bit rough, but maybe worth $50

I suggest you but it, try it, and if you don't like it, you could probably recoup your costs. WK is right these are the old Kodak Master cameras (Calumet bought the rights in the 50s when Kodak decided to no longer manufacture them) and they are solid workhorse cameras.

Have fun!

Brian

I loved my first Calumet cc403 so much, that I bought the other two versions. Stone axe engineering results in stone axe reliability. I transport the camera either in a duffel bag, or over my shoulder when I'm in the field (see article in VCM Nov/Dec). Controls are intuitive and easy to find. I once slipped on some ice and landed right on top of the camera. The front standard mounting plate got bent, so I dismantled it when I got home, heated it up with a torch and hammered it back into place. Works like new.

Awesome. This camera has done everything I have ever asked of it.

-Cheers
    Scott Edwards

Metolholic

I have a long rail version - as stated, it's solid, functional and dirt cheap. A real workhorse. For $50 (or $40!) you can't loose. Shawn