Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: polaroid 545i

polaroid 545i

I'm buying a polaroid 545i back for my graphic view.What type film is usable with it?

Re: polaroid 545i

You probably should have researched this before buying the back. All Polaroid film that fit in the 545 series of holders have been discontinued for awhile. They are only available from people who are selling their old stock-with associated unknown storage situations.

Rereading your post, hopefully you haven't bought the back yet.
    Last edited by John T; 28-Mar-2010 at 17:11. Reason: Reread OP

Method Madman

They aren't making film for it either and they probably won't since it requires an entirely different manufacturing line.

I wouldn't start throwing them away but they are essentially worthless. It is a shame that greedy people are still attempting to sell them for $50 or so on eBay.

I use Kodak Readyloads and Fuji Quickloads in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    I use Kodak Readyloads and Fuji Quickloads in mine.
    Not to add to the misery, but Readyloads have also been discontinued for a while and some Quickloads have also apparently been discontinued (although not all.)

So in answer to the original question, Fuji Quickloads, left over Kodak Readyloads, or even older left over Polaroid materials, if you can find them.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Method Madman

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    They aren't making film for it either and they probably won't since it requires an entirely different manufacturing line.
    they are not making them YET, but shure they will later. anyway there are (f.e.) a few 53s left and available there (though i don't know if the price is a good one). i dont think they work on NEW materials just for the smaller formats. AND: they only started yet, lets see what future will bring...

jan

Quote Originally Posted by Patel.djl View Post
    they are not making them YET, but shure they will later.
    I dunno. The Impossible Project reminds me of some of those retro motorcycle startups, where a few MBA's hatch an idea to bring back the ultimate street rod. Except they don't know anything about manufacturing (having spent their formative years in business school instead of work), and they expect to get fabulously rich without putting in the effort needed to bring their product successfully to market.

In the end, they fold, the MBA's walking off with the startup cash, leaving lots of machinists, salesmen and customers in the lurch.

Method Madman

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    I dunno. The Impossible Project reminds me of some of those retro motorcycle startups, where a few MBA's hatch an idea to bring back the ultimate street rod. Except they don't know anything about manufacturing (having spent their formative years in business school instead of work), and they expect to get fabulously rich without putting in the effort needed to bring their product successfully to market.

In the end, they fold, the MBA's walking off with the startup cash, leaving lots of machinists, salesmen and customers in the lurch.
    you know this is europe, not US of A
    let us see what will happen...

jan

Quote Originally Posted by Patel.djl View Post
    you know this is europe, not US of A
    let us see what will happen...

jan
    You don't think such things happen there, too?

I don't know if The Impossible Project is just an exercise or not, but so far everything I've read about the project has been aimed not at peel-apart materials but at instant pictures, such as those used in the SX-70. And the part that does seem like an MBA exercise is that it is responding to a perceived market hipness, not to the yearning of we few in large-format photography.

As for me, the Fuji peel-apart materials are very good and good enough to fill the market niche, as long as they keep making them. They come in 4x5 and they have a loader that is easier, lighter, and cheaper (in terms of cost). It's only disadvantage is that it uses pack film instead of sheet film. I don't see where a startup is going to succeed in providing useful competition for Fuji for these products.

The one old Polaroid project that is sadly lacking, though, is Type 55 positive/negative. But that would be far easier for Fuji to make than for The Impossible Project--the film and chemicals required are pretty conventional. And it can be made in pack formats, too.

I still have my old 545, and I also have a freezer full of Quickloads. But I decided to get a used Fuji Quickload holder--again, it is lighter, easier, and more reliable according to all the reports I have seen.

But I still keep my old 545, and I even still have the old Type 55 clearing tank.

Rick "hope springs eternal" Denney