Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kalart Focuspot laser pointer retrofit

Re: Kalart Focuspot laser pointer retrofit

The laser has a frequency of 650nm. Can you/we see that wavelength? Does it possibly entirely penetrate the half-silvered mirror so that nothing reflects from the rangefinder?

The Focuspot actually focuses an image of the conventional lightbulb's filament. I should think an LED at the point of the original bulb's filament would work better.

We shall see. My Linhof Super Technika V is one that has a Focuspot port. I've used it to some success.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    The laser has a frequency of 650nm. Can you/we see that wavelength? Does it possibly entirely penetrate the half-silvered mirror so that nothing reflects from the rangefinder?

The Focuspot actually focuses an image of the conventional lightbulb's filament. I should think an LED at the point of the original bulb's filament would work better.

We shall see. My Linhof Super Technika V is one that has a Focuspot port. I've used it to some success.
    I sure don't know the mirror and wavelength answer Jac. I did read somewhere on the great Web of confusion that some have re-mirrored the Kalart, possibly for this very issue.

The LED flashlight I used had a diffuser lens and it cast a 36" circle at 8 ft through the RF with a 6" center spot, that was difficult to align. I deemed it useless, but I tried.

A very tightly focused LED might work, but a laser point is exactly what I want. It will be here this week.
    Tin Can

My Laser pointer is deep red (650nm sounds right) and it works perfectly on my Technika V.

I got the laser today. Made in Taiwan, a country that makes high quality goods. This is not junk, they enclosed their product line, military and scientific applications. Once again, buy cheaper and cry twice.

Sure enough it fits right inside a FocuSpot in place of the original bulb, with very little work. I wanted to use the original rotary switch, but disassembly mistakes stopped that. Maybe iteration 2 will have that function, the 1st version of anything is a learning process. I would prefer an OEM rear FocuSpot switch, so the red button could be used elsewhere... So I learned a bit and I'm not telling all as there is a valid concern that this is not a toy and a laser is dangerous when used improperly. There are 2 steps to completing this modification, the first is obvious, mount it inside. The second is the trick that makes it work. If you can do step 1, you will figure out step 2. Then be careful.

Installed in a calibrated Kalart FocuSpot this laser is usable past 100 feet under street lights at night. It also works at 3 feet. Very accurate as checked on GG. The first picture shown is taken with full power flash showing 2 spots. I plugged the power cord into a Graflite outlet controlled by the momentary red button as seen in the pictures. Push that button and focus. Then move your hand down and shoot with the 2X3 Crown body release.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6077.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	131028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6080.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	131029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6083.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	131030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6087.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	131031
    Tin Can

I must say, Randy, that is one classy build.

Very cool Randy. The first time I used the Focusspot, I was very excited. The laser makes it that much better.

Nice build, Randy.
    I found that a laser really speeds up the process of re-adjusting a Kalart (or resetting it to a specific lens) installed or even handheld and shone through the rangefinder eyepiece.
    Also, while I won't stare at one or point it in anyone's eyes, I don't really believe typical red cat-toy LED lasers are very dangerous to eyes compared to other laser types, because they tend to be slightly diffuse or de-tuned. They'll work fine for this application even if slightly diffuse. (Some LED laser capsules have a collimation-tuning cap or thread, as well, and can be de-tuned.)

I used to teach laser safety. Only when you get to class IIIB lasers is there any danger to the retina for brief seconds of exposure. With the lower classes your blink reflex is enough to protect your eyes. If constant exposure of lower classes is for many seconds, it's possibly dangerous. Optics (like the Focusspot) can increase the danger though, by focusing or concentrating the beam.

I see there is talk of banning green lasers in USA, because of idiots pointing them at airplanes.

However, after I heard that, I noticed Amazon sells many very high power green lasers, but will not ship them to USA.

I don't know if that's a new policy.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Yes, some knothead nearly downed a commercial airliner down around Fresno by hitting the pilot with a green laser. His "prank" carries a terrorism charge with
    a ten year minimum sentence, I think. Even toy red lasers can temporarily mess up your vision if you're hit in the eye. My eyes will go into spasms for about
    twenty minutes. So there plenty of available ammunition even in "toy" stores out there for wannabee terrorists, esp in the drone and laser categories. The green
    lasers I sell have OSHA-mandatory less-than-pinpoint line or dot characteristics. Amazon is the last outfit on earth I'd trust. Aren't they the folks that wanted to
    develop thousands and thousands of drones delivering packages right to your door? Jet contrails are bad enough.