Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Voigtlander Braunschweig 21cm Heliar f 1 : 4,5

Re: Voigtlander Braunschweig 21cm Heliar f 1 : 4,5

The Heliar has a great smoothness to the images it forms. See attached for an example... My toddler's stuffed animal...focus on the mouth. Notice the sharpness in the threads, yet an overall smooth or round appearence to the entire image... 150/4.5 coated, at f8

Also see my Heliar Article http://antiquecameras.net/heliarlenses.html

Best
    Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Merci, Philippe.

I wrote to him and I received the answer. It seems to be a good choice. His english is very good and he gave me the price about the descrition and the same photos attached here. If I will be pleased with his work, I will send him more (although I donīt like a lot to buy faulty items...)

A bientōt !
    Philippians 4:8

Hello, CCHarrison. Thank you for the article.

The effect of the lens is interesting although the size of the photo are small.

Iīm thinking to make a tipology portrait work , this summer in the eastern Europe - with natural light ( something like the Avedon work but less hard ). I have a Schneider Xenar 210mm f 5,6 in Copal nš 3 and the sick Voigtlander. Wich are you think is better for it ?

Here you can see the start of my project: http://eduardtoader.wordpress.com/20...psodia-romana/ Donīt look the rough face of the blog ( or my english ). Iīm trying improve on..

If I would extend the bellows, I could make macro with it or is a bad idea?

Do you heard about some exhaustive photographic lens ecnciclopedia? I would be great to read something like it. I think I would be sleeping with it under my pillow...

best wishes for you.

I just got a 4.5/210 Heliar (Linhof selected) in a Compound 3 as a friend to my 4.5/210 Xenar also in Compound, and of the same period (ca. 1965)!
    I will "compare" them soon.
    BTW, they both seem to cover 8x10 at full aperture (with no movements).
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Hy again.

I never used a 8x10 camera, so I woukd like to ask something about this lens on such camera.

Could someone say me wich "35mm" equivalent lens would be a 210mm on 8x10" format? Itīs something like a 90mm on 4x5" or is more teleview? Itīs worth to use a Heliar as a angleview on a 8x10" camera? Wich cirle of image have this Heliar?

I also have a Schneider 210mm Xenar f4,5 in copal3. It cover the 8x10" format? Any 210mm LF lens should cover the 8x10" format having the same angle view? Wich circle of image have this Xenar? Wich is your opinion about this lens?

I bought last month another 240mm Heliar. The cylinder are moving and need to see it a mechanic-but the lens is in almost mint shape. I was surprised when I saw it. It have almost double diameter as the 210mm..

Iīm keeping the 210mm, the 240mm and this Xenar without caps. If anyone have the six caps to sell (for save the shipping) , Iīm interested.
    thank you.

Thank you all. Best holydays and a happy new year.

Hola Eduard,

I don't know much about those lenses but I suspect the Heliar 21cm might not cover 8x10 at infinity. I know it covers 13x18cm though because I have one.

Whenever I am in doubt I check Camera Eccentric website. It has many catalogs with very useful information.
    For Schneider lenses (last pages):
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...neider_11.html

For type of lenses I usually measure the negative's diagonal in milimeters. That, I consider normal lens (a 50mm equivalent in 35mm film). Bellow is wide angle.

Thanks, Elena.
    I didnīt knew about camera eccentric. Is a site very usefull.

You right. The 21cm Heliar donīt cover 8x10".

But √(200^2+250^2 )=320 so this would be the normal lens for 8x10"
    As √(100^2+125^2 )= 160 the mormal mens for 4x5" format
    IMHO
    I donīt know anything about 8x10" and his lens coverage. Lot of times, I have to ask about very simple questions.
    Please forgive my stubborn and my rough english..

Thank again for help.

I use my Heliar 1:4.5 / 21cm on the Tachihara 8x10 without vignetting at infinity but it is possible only because the picture area on the negative is less than 8x10 by the width of the rebates in the holder. Even so there is only 1mm to spare so lens centering is critical.

The shutter works like a typical old Compound; madly inaccurate but very consistent:
    1/100 = 1/40
    1/75 = 1/15
    1/50 = 1/10
    1/25 = 1/8
    1/10 = 1/5
    1/5 = 2/5
    1/2 = 3/4
    1 = 1 4/10

I've never been tempted to fix it.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I have one of these lenses. Here are two larger files, from photos were made with it on 4x5 TMY.

Modern designs are coated, and provide greater coverage and color fidelity - but the Heliar is a superb lens for many situations.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/still3.html

http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/still4.html
    Ken, Do you know Image Circle of Heliar 210/4.5?
    Yuriy

Info on Heliar and more:
    https://www.arnecroell.com/voigtlaender.pdf

Used a 210mm f3.5 Heliar for years, essentially a 5x7_13x18cm lens with very modest movements. Has a larger image circle of illumination which is NOT the same
    as image circle of GOOD performance (about 233mm, 5x7 needs about 215mm image circle) .

As for shutter, this 210mm f3.5 Heliar is in barrel used with Sinar shutter.. shutter speeds and related becomes a non-issue.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by orgraph View Post
    Ken, Do you know Image Circle of Heliar 210/4.5?
    Yuriy