Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just couldn't leave it alone, could ya? (for a laugh)

Just couldn't leave it alone, could ya? (for a laugh)

I believe that so-called "cleaning marks" occur most frequently on older lenses that used soft coatings. The Kodak Ektars are a case in point.

I also went through the sticky shutter thing with an ebay 90mm Angulon last summer. It sounds like I was lucky the first screw I attempted to remove would not come out. I sent it to SK Grimes and it came back functioning as it should. "Sounds CRISP at all speeds." It truly does now after having the darn shutter repaired.

The watch now, that did'nt turn out so good. My advice is, stick to changing the battery and DO NOT go exploring while the case is open. It is a strong temptation, but resist it.

Ben

I once field stripped a washing machine down to it's chasis to find that it was not hooked up to the socket..

Did that to a small Canon rangefinder....its still in a hundred pieces 10 years later in its plastic zip lock bag!Bummer man!

I recently completely disassembled an old Canon VT rangefinder in an effort to repair a sticky shutter. I had it * completely* disassembled, and actually managed to get it all back together again without any leftover parts. Shutter still doesn't work like it should, though. Anyone want to buy a 35mm with speeds 1/60-1/1000 only? Actually, this was one of the few repair jobs that went right that I've done. I once killed a 50mm f/ 1.4 Nikon AIS that other than stiff focusing was absolutely perfect, by cross-threading the helicoid so massively when reassembling it after re-lubing it that I now have a beautiful, $80.00 paperweight. I "fixed" the meter on my Nikon F3 and now have to keep my exposure compensation dial set permanently on -2/3 stop. I've destroyed at least 4 radios, 3 alarm clocks, 5 thermostats, a lawnmower engine, a darkroom timer, and a bunch of other things. Probably the most spectacular was back in elementary school when I was into rocketry. My homespun revolutionary aerospace technology caused 4 different rockets to explode at various altitudes, which caused bits of cardboard, paper tube, and balsa wood to rain down over an impressive area.

And my mother wanted me to be an engineer.....

> change the battery

I've learned to limit myself to lightbulbs.

i once "repaired" an old ektar 127mm shutter/lens and had enough springs and gears and wheels left over to make a cute little music box. this was following my attempt at solving the sticky shutter problem in the most obvious "guy" way i could come up with: find the biggest opening in the mechanism and stick the red WD-40 straw in there and pffffffffff...

OK Doug. One more for you.

What's the difference between a "Standard Navy Fine Adjustment Tool" and a "Standard Army Fine Adjustment Tool"?

The "Standard Navy Fine Adjustment Tool" is a 5 lb. sledge hammer.

The "Standard Army Fine Adjustment Tool"? < < < < < < < Wait for it . . . . . . < < < < < < < < A 10 lb. sledge hammer.

Regards, S.

"I've learned to limit myself to lightbulbs. -- John Hicks" John, that's a brilliant suggestion! After I figure out where this ball bearing came from, I'm going to try rebuilding the filament in that incandescent bulb which burnt out last night.... :-)

Eric "Who cares if it voids the warranty? If I fix it I won't need a warranty" Pederson

"i once "repaired" an old ektar 127mm shutter/lens and had enough springs and ge ars and wheels left over to make a cute little music box"

If we take this theory to the extreme - if you'll take apart the lens enough tim e, you should have enough part for two lenses...