Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EL Nikkor models

EL Nikkor models

What is the difference between EL Nikkor, EL Nikkor N, and EL Nikkor A lenses?

Re: EL Nikkor models

N and A indicate that the lens is a newer version of the El Nikkor lenses. N is for 105mm and shorter, A is for 135mm and longer.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

How do the newer versions diffrer? Optically? Mechanically?

The "N" or "A" for El Nikkor lenses aren't included in the labeling, except on the box. One can tell the difference by looking for the "thumb grips" on the lens. These are larger grooves on the aperture ring that enable one to "better" turn the aperture. Lenses like this are not "N" nor "A" lenses. Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-50mm-2-8-L...item51911cb824

El Nikkor without these special grooves are more recent and are either an "N" or an "A" type lens. See example that follows:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-El-Nikkor-...72083718344338

It's also my understanding that "N" and "A" El Nikkor are the most recent versions in their respective focal lengths. So, I think one could necessarily conclude that they would be multi-coated, whereas non- "N" or "A lenses might not be multi-coated.

Drew Wiley

Even among later lenses, the performance varied. Some models were superb, others so/so. Depends on exactly which focal length and aperture you have in mind.
    For example, I have a 360 which I use for 8x10 color enlargement which is superb,
    even one stop down from max aperture. But I also have a 75/4 which was marketed for 6x6 med format but does a poor job on the corners; but I purchased it specifically for 35mm film, where its performance is excellent provided I focus it one stop down (actually has a focus shift). The more expensive 75/5.6 has a better
    reputation on med format, but to me it still seems too short a focal length for that
    kind of work.

Drew, the 50mm f/4 and 75mm f/4 EL-Nikkors were 4-element lenses designed as economy models. The 80mm f/5.6, a 6-element lens, is a different story. I have one of those, as well as the 105mm f/5.6. The 80 is fine for 6x6 and 6x7 cm, which is what it's specified for. And the 105 is excellent for up to 6x9 cm.

Drew Wiley

Thanks Oren. I knew the 75/4 was a cheapo lens but I picked one up new for next to
    nothing, and it does have really good MTF and gradation in the center of the field, where I use it for 35mm, dramatically better than my old Componon S. For 6x7 I use my 150/4 Apo-Rodagon, which is positively the cat's meow unless someone can afford a 105 Apo El-Nikkor. Someday I hope to pick up some shorter focal length of Apo-Rodagon, but LF enlarging lenses have always been my priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I knew the 75/4 was a cheapo lens but I picked one up new for next to nothing, and it does have really good MTF and gradation in the center of the field, where I use it for 35mm, dramatically better than my old Componon S.
    Good deal, then.

I often use my 80/5.6 EL-Nikkor for 35mm. I tend to print small, and the 80 gives me a more comfortable working distance from the baseboard, with enough room for my grain focuser. It gets pretty cramped with the 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ......... I use my 150/4 Apo-Rodagon, which is positively the cat's meow........
    That is my dream lens!

You may also find more variability from specimen to specimen than from model to model. A good old example may be better than a mediocre new one and a perfect new one may be the best of any. Test!