Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I stupid for buying a new 4x5?

Re: Am I stupid for buying a new 4x5?

You've already bought the camera so I don't understand the point of asking now whether you were stupid. What difference does it make at this point whether it was stupid or not?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

But you're right. It was stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    You might be stupid to buy a NEW Ebony but buying used makes a lot of sense...
    I disagree, and my position isn't specific to Ebony. If one has the financial resources, why not purchase new photographic equipment? Posters fret all the time about film and paper manufacturers discontinuing products. If no new cameras, lenses, etc. are sold, the manufacturers of those products will also teminate production. I'm in favor of continued choice and innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I disagree, and my position isn't specific to Ebony. If one has the financial resources, why not purchase new photographic equipment? Posters fret all the time about film and paper manufacturers discontinuing products. If no new cameras, lenses, etc. are sold, the manufacturers of those products will also teminate production. I'm in favor of continued choice and innovation.
    More importantly someone has to feed the used market so the rest of us can get those good deals.

I'd have to argue with those who told you "film is dead" if, for no other reason, Big Yellow just brought Ektar 100 out in 35mm, 120, 4x5, and 8 x 10! Don't think they would have done this if they didn't expect to sell it! Your timing with this post is funny, though...a friend made the "film is dead" statement to me a couple of days ago and I told him the same thing...he was shocked that a new film had been recently introduced.

Well perhaps you can paraphase George Best "I spent a lot of money on photography. the rest I just squandered,"

Original quote: "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post
    I was going along just fine with an old speed graphic.

But I dreamed of some movements - like tilt.

So I bought a used ebony RW45.

Am I stupid? Isn't film dead?
    You bought something you wanted. I don't see anything stupid in buying things we dream about, as long as we can afford it. If it were a car, would you be asking the same question?

And besides, even when film finally does go away, Ebonies are really good for BetterLight backs, I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
    Original quote: "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    I can relate to this quote. Money's been squandered so many ways - college education, house, marriage, IRA ... at least I still have the negatives.

Every time I hear 'film is dead' I just chalk it up to ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    Every time I hear 'film is dead' I just chalk it up to ignorance.
    I chalk it up to provocation or sometimes humor. The latter was my intent with that statement.