Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metering Middle Grey

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Metering Middle Grey

On a recent shot (the Alameda County Courthouse posted in the Kallitype thread) I went with the spot reading of middle grey off a grey card. The sky above the courthouse also registered middle Grey and on the print it is indeed a middle grey. Suppose I would have installed a UV filter on the lens. Would that have "softened" the middle grey renditioned of the sky? Food for thought.

Thomas

Re: Metering Middle Grey

Why put q $10 piece of glass in front of a $500+ lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Why put q $10 piece of glass in front of a $500+ lens?
    Perhaps he has Heliopan or B+W or Rodenstock MC filters and they are not $10 pieces of glass. Not everyone buys bargain filters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Perhaps he has Heliopan or B+W or Rodenstock MC filters and they are not $10 pieces of glass. Not everyone buys bargain filters!
    Just to reinforce Bob's comment...

ALL of my 40 or so filters are B+W, at sizes up to 105mm (Rodenstock Apo-Sironar (W) 210/5.6)

Believe me, that 105mm filter did NOT cost $10.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Drew Wiley

$10 is all you have left in your bank account after buying 105mm filters!

I don't know what you mean by "soften" the gray of the sky. Did you want it to be lighter in tone? In any case, a UV filter wouldn't change much.

Like Mark, I would say no -- not enough UV at that low elevation to see any difference.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    So do I need to find filters priced more than my lenses? If I borrow a 210 super symmar xl, can I put a $10 filter in front of it since I didn’t buy the lens? I need to know all of the rules before I go out and shoot again! Since film prices keep going up, but lens prices are going down, are my photographs getting worse? Is the film to lens price ratio getting too close for good light to get through? OH NOOOOOO!!!
    If your major concern is protecting the front element then use a filter. If your major concern is optimal results then throw that $10.00 filter away and buy a real one!

I am entirely sympathetic to those with modest budgets. Using the correct color contrast lens is important, and the hardest decision. From what I can gather, you could benefit from a K2, or deeper yellow filter.

Remember, black-n-white is color without hue. Often you must interpret how color values will render. For example, no clear blue sky means a filter will have no significant effect.

Stay in touch - oh, and what size filter do you need?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have the Schneider 4"x4" UV-410 (HAZE 1) filter that I paid around $150 new - they are currently priced at $161. It blocks UV below 410 nanometers "effectively reduces or eliminates photographic haze in areas where the atmospheric conditions contain a heavy concentration of dust particles, water droplets, and pollution...Helps eliminate such conditions often found in mountainous or coastal regions, and industrial areas that scatter light and produce a bluish cast that causes film to render a lack of color, contrast and overall image quality..." Would using this filter tone down the grey sky on the print mentioned above? A UV 2A filter is supposedly more effective.

Thomas