Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Focusing Loupe: Recomendations

ARS KC2UU

Focusing Loupe: Recomendations

Greetings. There was a thread here a week or so ago about using reading glasses for fine focusing work. I thought about adding my question to that thread but decided to open a new one since the question is a bit different.

I have a cheapo loupe... don't have it with me so I don't know the brand. I think it's about 5x. All plastic. Nothing special. Picked it up for a few bucks off the counter at my local camera store years ago.

It worked very well for me up until recently with additional eye changes.

So I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a high quality loupe in the 8-10x range? I'd like to buy a good one that'll work for a while with my deteriorating vision.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Re: Focusing Loupe: Recomendations

I don't have an answer for you, but was wondering if you could elaborate on the "until recently with additional eye changes". I am considering getting Lasik correction done, but hesitate due to the unknowns. Is that what you are referring to?

Eric Woodbury

8-10x seems pretty strong. Most LF loupes are about half this.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I'm in the same boat as you. As I get older my eyesight seems to change daily.

The key feature folks like us need in a loupe is the ability to focus the loupe. I've recently started using a Silvestri 6x focusable loupe. My initial impression was not positive but I'm getting used to it. One day I might even like it.

Rodenstock and Schneider also make some nice focusable loupes - bring lots of money.

I'm sure there are other focusable loupe options. I look forward to reading the replies in this thread.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

I've heard good things about Horizon loupes:

http://www.kievusa.com/loupes.html

B&HPhoto has 8x which may be too strong. Horizon does make a 4x model. Seem hard to come by though in either flavor.

I use a Peak 10x loupe with a suction cup on the end. It’s easy enough to pop the suction cup off and use it without, and really handy to free up a hand and still have it in place. The above link is not anyone I have bought from before; it’s just the only vendor I could find that had a picture of the loupe and the suction cup (even though it’s a crappy shot). B&H sells them for less but their image did not have a suction cup. If you were to buy it from B&H I would call them first to make sure it’s the one you want.

Hope this helps.

-Joshua

neophyte

I havent tried them although the price has tempted me, but a number of the chinese sellers who deal in dayi and gaoersi sell a focusing 8x loupe on ebay.

I am interested in the folks who use 8-10x: as stated above most (including my current toyo) are about 4x, and I would be concerned with the higher mag that you start getting distracted by the fresnel pattern/gg grind. Is this your experience?

I can speak positively on the Fuji 4X loupe. I see them on ebay and mine came indirectly from Midwest. Comparable to the German loupes at a lower price. I have no problems with my 62 year old lasiked eyes. I also wear a pair of strongish readers for general focusing with fine touch up with the Fuji.

bob

FYI, many of those silver colored Fuji loupes were given away free as a Jobo promotion years ago. I know because I obtained one that way and it is every bit as good as my Schneider 4x loupe.

For focusing on ground glass, I prefer the standard Toyo 3.6 loupe which has a rubber base so it won't scratch the glass and it is rather long so you don't need to kiss the groundglass when you focus. I also like the Wista loupe which has a built-in diopter correction which might be better for people with changing vision issues.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    8-10x seems pretty strong. Most LF loupes are about half this.
    Eric: Thanks for the comment. I'll keep that in mind.

What i have now I believe is about 5x. But having done so much microscopy over the years we use a 10x telescoping eyepiece when viewing the back focal plane of the microscope... useful for centering other optical parts or viewing interference figures. One of the reasons I thought 8-10x would work for me. As long as its focusable. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.