Thread: Hello LF world!

LF nub

Smile Hello LF world!

Hi all,

I just joined this forum after realizing that LFP had this page. I've been a frequent visitor to the homepage, reading reviews and technique ides for about nine months, and it took me this long to scroll down and realize there was a forum to sign up for. Doh!

I literally just got my first LF camera yesterday and I'm still super excited! I picked up a Sinar F2 in a nice little trade, and picked up a 90mm F8 Super Angulon in S.F. the same day. I'm still learning the movements on it, but can't wait to run some film through it. I got the 90mm SA because I read that it can cover 5x7 as well, and I'm interested in moving up to that size in the future, after I get a handle on the 4x5. I love wide angles and one of my favorite subject matters is degradation; in pretty much any form I can find it. Whenever possible I like to place interesting subject matter in the foreground, and this is the other reason for starting with the wide angle.

I am particularly interested in documenting old farm implements I can find, especially in the central valley of California where I currently live. I also love shooting old Oak trees. There's not much I won't shoot.

Other than the Sinar F2, I also currently own and shoot; a Hasselblad 500C/M w/60mm 3.5, a Mamiya 645 AFD w/80 2.8 & a 210mm 4 ULD, a Nikon N90S w/50mm, and a Nikon D40x w/18-55mm kit lens and the amazing 35mm 1.8 DX. I mostly use the digital for snaphots and family fun, and I use the film cameras to make my art.

It's a bit disturbing how fast I've accumulated all this stuff. It all got really serious Christmas 2008, after I got the Nikon D40X, and it just kind of snowballed from there. Since then all I've done is eat, sleep, and breathe photography. I read books on technique, creative ideas, and study every photo and every photographers work I can find.

Lately I've been getting into night photography with the medium format cameras, and that can be quite interesting in itself. I've had any myriad of people approach me, from security guards to weirdos wanting to know what I'm doing. They probably think I'm the weirdo, but I'm just trying to make magic.

Well I'll finish with saying I'm glad to be here, and I look forward to reading everyone's many informative postings in the future!

Cheers,

Cornelius

Re: Hello LF world!

Before Vick Vickery beats me to the punch, quote, "Welcome to group therapy", unquote.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    They probably think I'm the weirdo, but I'm just trying to make magic.
    Welcome Cornelius.

You'll feel at home here! "Weirdos" are what we are, and "Magic" is what we do.

Looking forward to hearing more about your LF work...

Welcome to the community Cornelius.

Welcome! I too find large format photography rather addictive.
    I am a member of several forums, but this one is my fave!
    Keith

OK, Andrew, that'll be $10.00! Welcome, anyway, Cornelius!

$10, eh? Lets see... after conversion, that's $10.54 Canadian. Paypal?

Hey pal!
    Now that you have a real man's camera, we can go shooting, if it'll stop raining for a minute!

LF nub

Of course... I get this great new camera, and now we have a week's worth of heavy rain in the forecast!

Ah well, it will give me time to figure what the hell I am doing with it. ;D