Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Regarding Color Management and Printer Profiles

Michael E. Gordon

Poll: Regarding Color Management and Printer Profiles

Please take a few seconds to submit your response to an easy multiple choice poll. Thank you for your feedback!

Re: Poll: Regarding Color Management and Printer Profiles

This seems to me like an unabashed attempt at driving people to your site and in turn your services. Your poll questions asked people questions that would qualify them for printing assistance, a workshop, etc. You were clearly not looking for information or you would have had other questions that people with experience could answer. There are a couple of areas for posting things that are clearly commercial. This post ought to be moved.

Lenny

Michael E. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    This seems to me like an unabashed attempt....You were clearly not looking for information...
    Pretty strong accusations there, Lenny. What proof do you have to make these sort of statements?

Your poll questions asked people questions that would qualify them for printing assistance, a workshop, etc
    That's a stretch! I asked simple what-do-you-do questions; how the heck does this at all qualify them for services I offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    Pretty strong accusations there, Lenny. What proof do you have to make these sort of statements?
    Sorry, I don't mean to accuse anyone of anything. Or even piss anyone off... It may just be a one-sided questionnaire. Every one of the questions was directed at people who knew nothing about color mgmt, didn't profile their displays, use lousy printer profiles, use ridiculous closed-loop strategies, or don't have the patience to make prints at all. I am an expert in color mgmt and found no box to check.

If you really wanted to find out the spread of knowledge in this area, you would have also asked questions about people who do profile their monitors, do purchase custom profiles, make their own profiles, are very happy with their inkjet printing skills, etc.

You apparently do offer a workshop on color management.

Maybe I just mis-read your intentions, or the purpose of this survey. Perhaps you could clarify.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Michael E. Gordon

Every one of the questions was directed at people who knew nothing about color mgmt...
    Maybe you need to have a closer look at it.

Lenny, you sure have made a lot of accusations and interpretations about a reasonably simple multiple choice poll. Perhaps you could clarify your intentions.

I assume you use custom profiles, so there is indeed a choice for you. There's also an OTHER choice to encompass the huge range of possible answers for which I did not provide a checkbox. My apologies to you that I chose not to make this a 20-minute survey.

My intention: simply to find out how most approach color management. 50+% of the voters use canned profiles or outsource all their printing. Maybe the sample group isn't yet large enough, but that's pretty informative for me. Might be for you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    Maybe you need to have a closer look at it.

Lenny, you sure have made a lot of accusations and interpretations about a reasonably simple multiple choice poll. Perhaps you could clarify your intentions. My apologies to you that I chose not to make this a 20-minute survey.
    Michael,
    I did take a look at it again. Let's just call it even.... You appear to be a successful photographer and not some shmo' trying to hoodwink folks into something. Your only crime appears to be offering a poll I didn't think was complete enough. It looked like it was just trying to drive people there. But, I can be wrong about these things and these days I actually enjoy being wrong (I get to learn stuff).

If we get a chance to meet, I'll buy the beer (or the coffee).

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Well, in Lenny's defense ... I too was a little taken aback when I clicked on the poll link and ended up on a commercial website (mildly commercial ... but commercial nonetheless.) I was expecting the typical poll hosted on this Forum.

I would have responded to a poll hosted here ... for the benefit of the members ... but not on a commercial site. Others may think that is splitting hairs ... I don't. I don't doubt that your intent was good ... I just think you've got your toe over the line. Put the same poll up on this site and I don't have any problem with it.

Michael E. Gordon

Commercial website, Jim? Sheesh. It's just my blog. Does this mean that blogs are now commercial?

FWIW, I attempted to use another polling method (not hosted by me), but it sucked. And then I found a good built-in option on my WordPress blog, so I used it. So sue me.

You're all welcome to your opinions, but I have to say that I'm rather amazed at the hyper-sensitivity to this issue. It's not like I haven't contributed to this forum and the community as a whole. There's plenty of evidence on the LF Forum and my blog if you'll take the time to look.

Michael ... it's not that big a deal and I'm really not that worried about it. I just expressed an opinion ... as I said in reply if the poll was hosted here I have no problem with it. I am not hyper-sensitive about it and think they should allow more posts regarding workshops and products that members offer. I wasn't really trying to start a war here ... just weighing in on a controversy that had already started.

And, no ... it doesn't mean all blogs are commercial. But any blog with two pages which are ads for the blogger's commercial efforts (custom printer profiles and workshops) is at least "mildly commercial." It is relevant to the poll you posted because the poll directly relates to your custom printer profile sales.

falth j

Just curious..

What is the purpose of the poll?

Is it merely fyi, or does the poll host plan to do something with the poll results, followed by an explanation?