Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got any Blurb Promo Codes?

Got any Blurb Promo Codes?

Anyone got a valid Blurb promo code to share? I know there are some $10-off ones out there...

Ron Miller

Re: Got any Blurb Promo Codes?

Frank,

It's been a while since I saw you post on your Blurb endevours. Any updates? I'm slowly putting 1 together and enjoyed your tips (and understood your frustrations).

Ron

The latest book I did was 12" Square, all B&W. Everything came out consistent and the binding was good. Converted my greyscales to use the Blurb CMYK profile and built the book using InDesign, then exported a PDF per Blurb specs. All went well but 1. the images look a little heavy and the shadows plugged a bit; and 2. Compared to the smaller 8x10" books, the images broke up a little, looking a little more like they went through a photocopier....

But it's not so much that I would reprint or bother with adjusting 100+ files. I'd be fearful that the shadows would look weak, since the worst looking thing with these books is when the images lack blackness (so I bet they crank it up). As for the image quality, I think I will go back to the $80 8x10 size instead of the $130 12x12 size.

Lots of people tell me they will buy my books but nobody ever does -- I have zero mark-up so I don't care -- I don't think Blurb books are a good value to consumers for what they are, and the artist would have to be amazing for people to pay a premium mark-up. (However you are welcome to buy inkjets and look at the book PDF for free!)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

Lots of people tell me they will buy my books but nobody ever does -- I have zero mark-up so I don't care -- I don't think Blurb books are a good value to consumers for what they are, and the artist would have to be amazing for people to pay a premium mark-up. (However you are welcome to buy inkjets and look at the book PDF for free!)
    OBJECTION, SIR! I purchased a copy of "Portraits of Amateur Models from Social Networking Websites Photographed by Frank Petronio from 2006 to 2008."

I'll buy the next affordable one, and the next. I'm still pushing for a "Freezing Chicks" book.

Wm.

Really? Thank you! That's the early paperback one, right? Was the printing OK?

Yes, that's the one, and the printing was quite good. I'd never heard of Frank (or the LF Forum) until I stumbled across your book on Blurb. I bought it straight away.

I'm interested if anyone has tried the Blurb B3 "professional" service and has any feedback?

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

The only problem with B3 is that you have to use their canned BookSmart software, not the PDF workflow. If I were starting from scratch that would be OK, there isn't anything that wrong w the software, but I much rather use InDesign since I use it for work a lot and know it well.

The last books have been consistent anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Anyone got a valid Blurb promo code to share? I know there are some $10-off ones out there...
    The best and most current promo code that I know of allows a discount of 25% off and is valid until 11/2/2010. I used it, works great.

Promo Code: "BOOKIFY"

I hope this helps.

Thanks!