Thread: Wollensak 12: Series II Velostigmat CLA and question on retaining ring.

Andrew Moxom

Wollensak 12: Series II Velostigmat CLA and question on retaining ring.

I was lucky enough to find a good shape 12" series II Velostigmat lens on Ebay. I found that the piston in the studio shutter was siezed. A little tap with a jewelers screwdriver inside the nipple loosened it and I unscrewed the top and cleaned out the gunk with a .30 caliber bronze rifle bor brush! I then placed a tiny amount of molybdenum sulphide powder onto a Q tip and cleaned out the piston sleeve. After reassembly, the aperture snaps open and closed nicely with the airbulb I use for my Packard. I also found that the diffusion ring was jammed. After donning the rubber gloves and placing the lens ring in my right hand, and holding the barrel with the other, I was able to shift it and now it loosens and moves nicely. So far so good.... Now I need to find out what size the retaining ring will be? I am in the market for an 8x10 camera so while I wait for something to come along, I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find the retaining ring? Or does anyone have one they'd be willing to let me buy off of them?

Next step will be to remove the beauty ring as per Mark Sawyer's thread. My lens has two small pointy holes already in it so I wonder if this has been apart before? I don't have this type of pointed tip spanning wrench though only the flat/straight version. Is there a source for these too?

Thanks

Andrew

Re: Wollensak 12: Series II Velostigmat CLA and question on retaining ring.

Andrew, when I removed my retaining ring for the front element, I just used thumb pressure to turn it (thumbs 180 degrees apart). If that doesn't work, get a wide elastic band and use it as a friction pad under your thumbs to turn the ring. The lens really comes alive when the set screw is removed. It takes some time to figure out all the possibilities with this lens and how to get the most out of it, but it is a gem.

Kevin

Retaining ring/flange can be bought - or rather made - at SKGRIMES. Approx prices can be seen on line. Another option, if you picked this up at a reasonable price, is to check the dimensions of the flanges on offer on e**y. There is a seller who usually has quite a few as B-I-N offers. Prices are related to the internal diameter. They are very handy with a micrometer. The size you are looking for is around 0.4mm larger than the outside edge of your male thread. This may seem like a long shot but within the last 6 months I have fitted up 4 barrels from this source - all perfect fits. I have no connection with these seller apart from purchases.
    Personally, I think that E**y should deduct an automatic 25% (with a maximum of $50) from the winning bid on lenses which don't include a flange!!

Andrew,

Thank you for beginning this discussion. I wish I had immediate feedback that might help, but I am in a learning curve and not all that helpful. Learning from this thread and other discussions.

I would like to mention that I just purchased a "minty" Wollensak Velostigmat Series II 12" lens from Jim Galli. This is my first vintage portrait/soft focus lens purchase, and also just bought a super nice Cooke 7" Series II lens in Illex.

I am looking forward to using the "Velo" lens and making Mark Sawyer's recommended soft focus enhancement.

Jim's work with soft focus and his blogs of various lens examples have been a great help to me. Here is a picture of this lens. As you can tell I am excited and anticipatory of its use. Here are some images of the lens to share.

http://content.screencast.com/users/...c/00000001.png

http://content.screencast.com/users/...8/00000002.png

Hey Mark....it's begun....

I totally concur; I like the Velostigmats, even the regular ones.

Coming soon; "post your Mark Sawyer Velo shots" !

Garrett

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I always liked the Velostigmats too, Garrett. But now I love them!

I can't take too much credit, though; as I mentioned in the other thread, another forum member, Darryl Baird, got me started on this quite a while back. I just posted a "how-to" guide with a little historical info and images. These lenses are nice enough and have enough of their own personality (I think) that they deserve the attention, especially since they're pretty common and affordable.

I do hope we see more sharp and soft Velostigmat images in that thread!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."