Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobo Expert 3010

Jobo Expert 3010

Hi,

I recently got the JOBO 3010 4x5" Expert Drum, 10 sheets with the Uniroller Motor Base from a used seller. Everything seems to be in fine working conditions.

Does anyone have experience developing BW film with the 3010? I'm looking for feedback on what kind of developer, continuous agitation time, etc. How do you get the cap off?

I'm new to the forum but have read many helpful threads here. Thanks so much.
    Paul

Re: Jobo Expert 3010

Quote Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
    Hi,

I recently got the JOBO 3010 4x5" Expert Drum, 10 sheets with the Uniroller Motor Base from a used seller. Everything seems to be in fine working conditions.

Does anyone have experience developing BW film with the 3010? I'm looking for feedback on what kind of developer, continuous agitation time, etc. How do you get the cap off?

I'm new to the forum but have read many helpful threads here. Thanks so much.
    Paul
    The cap comes off with inside air pressure through a foot pump, connected by a hollow rubber stopper.

TMX and TMY-2 in TMAX RS 1+9 works great for me, 11:30min and 8:30min, respectively, at 50rpm and 75F for N development.

Eric Woodbury

I have used a 3006 for a long time. This is 6x 5x7. I always used PMK in a nitrogen atmosphere, but I wouldn't recommend this because it is tedious and I'm now abandoning this developer/technique. I rolled mine with a different base at about 10 rpm (?).

Easiest way to remove the top is to put a one-hole stopper that is hooked up to the water supply with a rubber hose. Jam the stopper in the top and turn on the water. It will pop the top right off.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I use pmk with edta added to it. Best negs I've ever made come out of that thing.
    I don't use the foot pump even though I own one. The guy I bought my drums from showed me cracks inside some of his drums the he figured could only be caused by excessive pressure when applying the foot pump. He had decades more experience than I so I just put the drum against the edge of the counter and pull down the drum, letting the lid catch the sharp corner. Do this in two places on the lid and it'll come loose.

Make sure you use enough developer. My experience has been that as the developer exhausts during the process the center of the sheetfilm gets less development.

Paul,

Like many here, I use all of the LF Jobo drums (3005 3006 and 3010), they are great.

On the uni roller, I pick it up and switch the direction every minute (also do this for fixing). You can use most any developer once you get the groove of the film/dev combo. I use to use txp in HC 100 until kodak messed with the formulas, now I use HP5 in D-76. In Gordon's PMK book he advises using a split batch dev. and dump batch one after 50 percent dev for fresh amount of soup for the second half of the process time.

My roller runs about 28 rpm.
    I use 16 oz in the 3006 but have started to use 20oz in the 3010. (edit:as also mentioned by IC above :-) )

You can pop the lid by placing it under your left arm and gripping it well, insert your right thumb and pry slightly, rotate and do this a few times and it pops off.
    Don't try to pry it off in one single pull.

The one thing with the 3010 is to be careful when you slide the film into the track, if it pops out at the bottom, you will get a white line through the sheet that is underneath the popped sheet.

Michael E. Gordon

I have a detailed video with specific instructions on how to develop 4x5 film with the 3010 and continuous agitation (using my preferred developed Rollo Pyro). You can find it on my blog. I hope it's helpful to you.

Single direction on Uniroller or Beseler base. No swapping ends. 4-5 minute prerinse. 400ml to 800ml of Xtol 1:3 (100ml Xtol + 300ml water per Kodak directions). 68F. Start with 10 minutes for most films. Adjust to taste. The old Kodak German Xtol technical information is what I use for my starting times. To date I have developed Delta 100, Efke 25, Arista-Foma 200, Tmax 100, Tmax 400, HP-5+, I guess that's all. 135-120-4x5. No complaints.

Funnel and tube from Walmart auto oil change section for pouring fluid into 3010 while spinning. Pour Xtol. Start timer. 30 seconds left, dump Xtol. Pour stop (tap water) when timer buzzes.

Good luck.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Wow! So much really useful info. I'm heading to the darkroom for the day and hope to start experimenting with the Jobo 3010.
    Thanks so much for the great feedback.
    Paul
    p.s. the video link is terrific!

... and, be careful when "blowing" the top off ... if stuck it can come off with amazing force ... as I found out from personal experience with a Jobo 3005 and a foot pump.

One trip to the emergency room, 24 hours without any vision but light and dark in one eye, and yearly checkups since to monitor eye pressure because of a damaged drainage system in the eye.

Now I always have a firm hand on the top as I'm pressurizing it.