Page 80 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

Re: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

Schneider Xenar 135 f4.7 / Crown Graphic 4x5 / Provia 100F

I just wish the forest was in landscape orientation...
    http://piratedigest.com

Made a splitter for my 5x7, got in a hurry and mis-read the fine markings on the steel rule I was using (dratted aging eyes) and cut it too narrow, didn't notice. Ended up with overlaps between the two halves of the plate. Laughed it off, made another splitter -- only took 10 minutes or so after all, plus time for the black paint to dry...

SNIV-016, Slight mistake by Robert Brazile, on Flickr

Seneca New Improved View 5x7
    Wollensak 7 1/2" 190mm f/5.6
    homemade gelatin dry plate

Robert

Light leak and scratches on X-ray film:

RVP50 with X-ray marks. Bummer.

Golden Autumn by JaZ, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by JaZ99 View Post
    RVP50 with X-ray marks. Bummer.

Golden Autumn by JaZ, on Flickr
    Jaz, I have seen similar sheets that never went through the xray and were damaged due to processing errors. Just curious to learn how you know this was xray damage and not something else.

It is still a beautiful image btw.

Pali

Thank you. This box was bought overseas, probably xrayed in transit. Since I developed it myself, it must be a x-ray damage or manufacturing defect.

Thanks Jaz - hopefully it is isolated to this single sheet. I buy a good bit from Japan as well and haven't had this issue. Here is the mistake image of mine that made me think that yours may also be a processing issue. I think mine was caused by expired chemicals and/or the drum was not clean before I started processing.

Interesting. You have only one stripe, on my image there are at least 3 (marked with notes on Flickr page).
    Are you sure it is indeed chemical? I Can't magine how it was created, given the rotary processing.

JaZ

If the drum isn't completely dry when you load the film, drops of water may run down the film as you put the tank upright. The uneven wetting may very well cause uneven development. Also, if a drop of developer somehow finds its way to the film before rotation starts (when pouring in the developer) I imagine this kind of thing happens easily. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it may help in eliminating it. For one, by making sure the drum is completely dry when you load the film, no excess of developer is used and the developer is poured in gently (I'm thinking about jobo drums with the cup in the lid). Secondly, it seems vital to know if this occurs in the same pattern and the same place in every sheet of the same box. To be honest, it looks and bit sharply delineated for xray damage.

Quote Originally Posted by JaZ99 View Post
    Interesting. You have only one stripe, on my image there are at least 3 (marked with notes on Flickr page).
    Are you sure it is indeed chemical? I Can't magine how it was created, given the rotary processing.

JaZ
    Jaz, I am not 100% that it was the chemicals but also not 100% sure if my drum was not clean or fully dry from previous use. I do know that it was one or the other or both. Keep in mind this was in Jobo 3010 expert drum which is similar to your rotary processing. Like I said, hopefully this is isolated to your single sheet like mine and not really xray damage. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    If the drum isn't completely dry when you load the film, drops of water may run down the film as you put the tank upright. The uneven wetting may very well cause uneven development. Also, if a drop of developer somehow finds its way to the film before rotation starts (when pouring in the developer) I imagine this kind of thing happens easily. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it may help in eliminating it. For one, by making sure the drum is completely dry when you load the film, no excess of developer is used and the developer is poured in gently (I'm thinking about jobo drums with the cup in the lid). Secondly, it seems vital to know if this occurs in the same pattern and the same place in every sheet of the same box. To be honest, it looks and bit sharply delineated for xray damage.
    Exactly what I think happened in my case. I had processed some film the day before using the same tank which may not have been enough time for the drum to be completely dry.

Pali