Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howtek 4500 calibration issue

Howtek 4500 calibration issue

Has any Howtek 4500 user come across the following warning which appears when the scanner is going through it's pre scan calibration proceedure "calibrating.... check lumens" or that might be insufficient lumens. The scanner stays in this mode until the scan is cancelled, there are no other available menu options accessible at this point. I have checked both lamps and can see no problems, the scanner hasn't been used for some time but was fine last time it was used.

Re: Howtek 4500 calibration issue

There's a lot of things that could cause there to not be enough light.

The lamps may be emitting light, but not lined up on the circle where the light needs to go thru. Make sure the lamps are pointed right on the circle opposite them. Next, when was the last time the sensor was cleaned?

Finally, call Evan at Aztek. He can likely tell you what you need to know...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

The lamps actually get dimmer over the life - pop in a new lamp (or switch the lamps - it's likely that the reflective lamp has almost no use on it)... If that doesn't work, lamp alignment is the next bet followed by a cleaning of the analyzer lens... There are some basic instructions to do this in the user guide - it's pretty simply.

Thanks guys, I have already replaced one of the bulbs to gain maximum output from at least one lamp, also tried swopping them over. Both look as if they are aligned so I guess I'd better try cleaning the sensor and see if that helps.

Saratoga, CA

I’ve had that problem several years ago and, if I remember right, it was the small cable that goes from the Encodex P.C.B. (the small one that sits atop the SSD P.C.B.) to the drum encoder.
    I have the service manual for the 4500 if you want it, let me know and I’ll send you a link.

Gale

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    I have the service manual for the 4500 if you want it, let me know and I’ll send you a link.

Gale
    That would be useful Bob I could at least identify the part and the procedure, then all I have to do is find a source for the part, I'm in the UK.

Thanks

Saratoga, CA

Send me a PM, I need your email address.

Gale

I have had similar issues with my 4500. Also, I have not been able to scan reflectives for some time. I mainly scan 4x5 transparency so it hasn't been a huge issue, but something I would like to fix. Bob, if you would like to share that service manual with me as well I would greatly appreciate it. My email is joey@sigimage.com. If you can't I understand.

Sorry,thought from your screen name you were Bob, apparently your name is Gale.

Hopefully this link still works. I am looking for Service Manual for Howtek 4500.
    Thank you
    Roger