Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diptychs, Triptychs and Other Multiples

Re: Diptychs, Triptychs and Other Multiples

This is my first attempt at this. I've got some more ambitious ones in mind with multiple exposures. critiques welcome.

Crown Graphic, HP5+, printed on Ilford MGWT

Taken at the Morrell Nature Sanctuary

An interesting montage, sly. The little bit of creek in the lower image keeps that lower image from just being a tag-along. It increases its importance to the over all piece by tying together the water element to the ferns and trees.

It is an unusual enough presentation that it keeps me wondering if it actually works or not. Might be because of the seemingly lack of balance in the over-all image -- which might be different if I saw the original piece, as scale might be important.

A third image of just ferns (maybe even as a hortizontal), blended in on the left side (and lower) to the bottom image might achieve a better balance. Each of the three images would then have one dominate subject to complete the over-all image (top to bottom: trees, water, then ferns).

It looks to be a challenging project -- I look forward to seeing future images!

Vaughn

First attempt to find the Abert Lake triptych failed, but found this one.

Valley Floor, Control Burn
    Yosemite National Park

Two 4x10 Platinum/palladium prints
    Rephotographed with digital camera
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valley Floor.jpg  

I wanted to post a diptych I made in 2008. It is an 10x16 platinum print.

Be well,

Ray Bidegain

Michael E. Gordon

Joshua tree, Saguaro, and Ocotillo
    4x5", Wollensak Verito, Ilford Delta 100

Beautiful, Ray! With the subject looking off to the our right, it leaves me wanting a third image to complete the narrative! I'm not saying it needs a third image, but it creates a tension (unfulfilled desire?) that really adds to the piece!

Vaughn

PS...Michael -- lovely stuff! Did you have to work long to determine the sequence of the three images? It looks to me that the plants themselves want to be sequenced one way and the landforms another way...making the choice difficult. But that is probably just be me.

Another Type 55 diptych. Taken close together in time and just a little distance in space (both in Indian Canyon, Yosemite NP). The ladder is permanently attached to the canyon wall for servicing the telephone cable going out of Yosemite Valley (following an old native American path into the valley, I believe)

Scanned contact print

Vaughn, thanks for your critique. Good points for future efforts.

I really like the one you did in Indian Canyon. That little bit of ladder is so mysterious. The photos play so well into each other, yet are dissimilar. Inspiratational.

Michael E. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Michael -- lovely stuff! Did you have to work long to determine the sequence of the three images? It looks to me that the plants themselves want to be sequenced one way and the landforms another way...making the choice difficult. But that is probably just be me.
    Thanks, Vaughn! Determining the "right" sequence came quickly. And indeed, it's based on the plants, not the landforms, because it's the plants that make the images. Although photographers, curators, and engineers may look for continuity of horizons, no one else cares

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    Thanks, Vaughn! Determining the "right" sequence came quickly. And indeed, it's based on the plants, not the landforms, because it's the plants that make the images. Although photographers, curators, and engineers may look for continuity of horizons, no one else cares
    I would have sequenced them differently (but not better) based on a different criteria of eye movement...Saguaro -- Ocotillo -- Joshua tree. But your way has a more solid/stable feeling to it.

I love it when a student with good work asks me for help to sequence a 10 to 15 print portfolio. As an "outsider", I can ignore subject matter and any emotional ties the student might have with the images and just have fun arranging them based on how the eye flows back and forth across all the prints...and unless they were required to have a set number of prints, help the student reconize the stronger and weaker images -- and perhaps dump a print or two that may be bringing the whole portfolio down a notch.

Sly -- Thank you. I have to admit I did not see the diptych until after I processed the negatives, but the thought process was similar for both (the left image has a bit of the telephone cable in the lower left). Sometimes one gets lucky!

Vaughn