Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diptychs, Triptychs and Other Multiples

Diptychs, Triptychs and Other Multiples

We have a ton of image categories, but I thought one specifically gear towards images made with multiple negatives presented as diptychs (or more) would be fun -- especially since I occasional make them.

The first one I would like to share is a rather abstract image. It is of the ceiling of a lava tube at Lava Beds National Monument in NE California. The camera for the top neg was pointed pretty much straight up. Without moving the pod, the camera was pointed lower for the bottom neg.

The scan is of a fairly straight-printed contact print of the two 4x5 negatives, tho I have printed both negs 16x20 and have matted and framed it.

Skull Cave
    Lava Beds National Monument
    Both negs: f16 at 15 seconds
    Gowland PocketView 4x5, Calter II-N 150/5.6
    TMax100
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tube Ceiling.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 6-Dec-2019 at 13:18.

Scott Davis

Re: Diptychs, Triptychs and Other Multiples

Iguazu Falls, from the Argentinian side. 7x15, platinum/palladium.

great one, Scott -- the vingetting even works well with the images!

Was inspired to dig this one out of the archives after seeing the recent spread in ViewCamera Magazine.

Again in Lava Beds National Monument, CA
    Two Type 55 negs

karnapidasana (ear pressure pose) , two 5x7s, Pd ( Na2 method)

Jesus Vaugh, don't remind me of my nightmare

Back in 94 I was part of a large group show, arts board funded and part of a Photo-Festival, the night before the hanging I visited a a close friend, he was still printing his own work. and badly behind.

I discovered he was supposed to frame & mat cut the main intro board, another photographer had spent 2 months shooting portraits of all the photographed involved. He just didn't have time.

So with one piece of matt board I had to cut 18 or 19 windows in one sheet. Luckily it worked the show was booked for other locations to.

Diptychs, Triptychs are fun, especially when the parts are shot in different weather, times of year etc, that stretches you control of technique. These 2 are a week or so apart.

Ian

Aren't deadlines fun, Ian?!

I have cut many multi-holed mats. The most complicated one I have done was for the Art Department's slide display (of faculty and staff work). Only 14 holes -- each hole holds 4 35mm slides (the mat was placed over a light table in the hallway). Really not all that difficult to do -- except for the constant muttering "Don't f**k up, don't f**k up, don't f**k up..."

Nice images, BTW...

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Again in Lava Beds National Monument, CA
    To roughly paraphrase you , Vaughn, "Hey, what are you doing in my back yard?"

Well, it may not be my backyard, but it is just a house or two over.

I have a triptych/panorama of three hort. 5x7's of Lake Abert, Or, that I will have dig out and find a way to digitize (probably will just have to re-photograph it with a digital camera) and share. Pretty amazing country out there!

Took my three boys (and wife) to Lava Beds MN a few Memorial Day weekends ago -- we all had a blast in the lava tubes. Very neat place! One can really get turned around in some of them.

Vaughn

I'd love to see the Lake Abert shots. I was by there a couple years ago and fired off a few quick digital shots in mid-day, thinking "Man, I need to get back here when there are some good puffy cumulus clouds around!" The large boulders along the east side of the lake have a lot of potential, I think. Cool place.

I was going to make Lava Beds a project, but I've gotten preoccupied with some other things. I guess it's not going anywhere soon!