Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soft Focus Lens Article - Part 2

Re: Soft Focus Lens Article - Part 2

The Varium was not a "soft focus" lens per Wollensak's catalogue page of 1928. Thats not to say it didnt produce softer images, but it is not a "soft focus" like the Vitax, Verito or Velo II. It was also only the market a few years and is uncommon.

I will have to check my notes on Crown - I believe they did sell/produce a SF lens or two.

Thanks
    Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Thanks, Dan, I'm with you now. So these lenses are to produce an even softness across the field, what I have always referred to as "pictorial". Therefore, Jim Galli's Pinkham Smith 12" Series I Semi Achromatic image "trees near hot springs, markleeville, ca" in the image examples doesn't really fit because it is sharp in the center and progressively softer at the edges - like a portrait lens?

Chauncey,

The Pinkham & Smith lenses were made and sold as Soft Focus Lenses.

Eveness of diffusion across the field is different for different SF lens types. Types that use chromatic aberrations ( Struss ) tend to be soft everywhere. Other types that use primarily spherical aberrations for diffusion will tend to be softer at the edges than in the center....and well stopped down, these lenses will be a bit "sharper" across the field as the aperture cuts off some/much of the spherical errors.

I would suggest you read Russ Young's thesis for a full explanation of all these issues.

Thanks
    Dan

This all doesnt mean Soft Focus lenses can't be sharp ( Verito's are "sharp" at f/11 and smaller ), and it doesnt mean "regular" lenses cant be soft. Again, I am just writing about lenses that were made and/or marketed with Soft Focus as their primary (or secondary) purpose.

As a further example, Dagors can be soft wide open, but were not intended for pictorial imagery.
    Last edited by CCHarrison; 3-Feb-2010 at 13:17.

Diane,

Here is what I dug up on the Crown Anastigmat Series I - see the attached ad. It does mention the ability to soften with a slight and even diffusion.... Since the line drawing doesnt show the "easily operated device" to do so, I imagine it is turning the front or rear element a bit.... likely very similiar to the Velo Series II, which despite its markings of up to 5 diffusion stops, actually provides fairly mild diffusion....

So, it seems to be a "true" Soft Focus lens - however I have so little data, I dont have much else to write about it....

The ad was from "Photography at Home" 1911

Dan

Cool Re: Soft Focus Lens Article - Part 2

Thanks Dan. I have the 19 in. f/4 Varium in a Studio shutter. I also have the Crown Anastigmat Series I, 6½x8½ in a Compound Shutter.

Hi Diane

do you see a way to apply diffusion on the crown lens ?

Thanks
    Dan

No, there doesn't seem to be one other than just shooting it wide open at f/4.5.

Diane

"Corrections, additions and edits welcomed."

Goerz Dogmar, Heliar smooth/sharp complete, pictorially soft when converted, overly swirly with the front cell and overly soft with the rear cell, either needs stopping down.

Thanks Paul and although that's extremenly useful information for us all, for my purposes of the article, neither the Dogmar nor Heliar would be included as a "Soft Focus" lens, converted or not. The Universal Heliar, of course, will be.

The uncoated 240mm Heliar was my all time favorite all around lens...I would use it to shoot Polaroid 55 film/neg and the results were smooth & creamy at wider apertures....loved that lens.

Dan

Perhaps I should also have a page with "non-SF" lenses that can produce SF effects? I believe most convertible lenses will produce some modest diffusion wide open as the corrections for any given lens will be lessened upon utilizing only one cell/group. I would also love for someone to take some shots with a converted Verito to see what those images look like....

CC Harrison & others:

I have articles on:
    - Ars Koristka: The "Little Ars" Soft Focus Lenses
    - "The Possibilities of the Single Lens"
    - Dallmeyer-Banfield lens: "A New Soft Focus Lens" (basically just an announcement)
    - "The Dallmeyer-Banfield Lens" (review of the lens)
    - "The Wray Diffused Image Lens"
    - "Dallmeyer Soft-Focus Lenses"
    - "Makers of Soft Focus Lenses" (lists adresses of several makers)
    - Ars Koritska: "Experiments with a Soft Focus Lens"
    - "The Hyperion Soft-Focus Lens"
    - ""Hermagis" Lenses" (mentions the eidoscope)

(All these are from "Amateur Photographer" 1923)

I can scan and e-mail them, if you would like.